Saturday, July 3, 2010

Outplayed,Outclassed,Outscored

I consider my soccer education to have begun in 1970,I went to my first ever game and that was the first World Cup I can recall some very distant memories of{when England won in 66 I was only 2!}
Over the past 40 years one constant theme shows up.....never bet against Germany!now granted prior to 1970 West Germany had had success but since Mexico 70 their World Cup finals record reads as thus:
70 semi final,74 winners,78 2nd group stage,82 runners up,86runners up,90 winners,94,1/4 finals,98 1/4 finals,02 runners up,06 semi finals
Since 72 in the old Nations Cup that then became the European C'ships or the Euro's as we've come to call them:
72 winners,76 runners up,80 winners,84 group stage,88 semi finals.92 runners up,96 winners 00 group stage.04 group stage,08 runners up.

Today's quarter final match up w/ Argentina was billed as one of the marque match ups to begin w/ w/out looking back at their storied World Cup rivalry:
86 final,90 final,06 1/4 finals w/ Germany holding a 2.1 edge winning the last two.
All three of those games had been close/Klose.....not today,4.0 to Germany which make their 4.1 dismantling of England look a little better now.
It'd take a brave man or woman to bet against Germany lifting another World Cup....but this is not me wavering on my pre tournament pick of Spain to win it all or Holland to emerge as the dark horse.

Notched my 6th 10 miler of the week at lunch time, tying my longest week to date having logged a 60 mile week at the end of April.
67 minutes but there seemed little or no point hammering it,I'd done what I'd set out to do this week and now it's a matter of taking next week on a day to day basis.
The 7 day forecast isn't showing much if any relief from mid 90 degree temps and unlike the back end of last week and Monday when I had the luxury of early morning runs I'm SOL this coming week so I may have to adopt a day to day attitude towards next week and even subscribe to the"less is more"mindset.

No comments: