Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Smiling Like I Mean It

A glorious evening for a run,warm and sunny,very little in the way of wind down at Franklin Field,almost ideal conditions{I try to shy away from using the word perfect in my vocabulary,I don,t don,t think it exsists,there,s no perfect job,relationship,or run so I can,t sit here and say conditions were picture perfect}
Tonites bill o fare was 5x500m,target time 77 seconds for the opening 400m and 16/16.5 seconds for the 100m, a 300m walk/jog recovery repeat,just as I failed last Friday to set the tone on my opening lap of my mile repeats I went out fast on my opening split,71 seconds b4 a 13 second closing 100m,1.24 for 500m,1.33 would,ve been target time pace.
W/ genie firmly out of the bottle now it was time to press on,once the toothpaste,s out of the tube it,s a bugger trying to put it back in,72 seconds at 400m another 13 second 100m,1.25 for 500m
For a split second it looked like my worst fears of opening fast only to see the rear end fall out of the repeat as it progresssed was coming true 74 seconds at 400m.....BOOYAH 12 seconds at 100m!!!!1.26 and the words of House Of Pain began to flit across my mind"come and get some of this y,all,come and get some of this""the house of pain is in effect,and anyone who steps up is getting wrecked""word to your moms,I came to drop bombs".....I could go on but I think you catch my drift,not only was I kickin it on the track but having fun to boot!!!!
71 seconds at 400m b4 a 13 second 100m,I had to slow slightly for fear of running up the back of some runner waiting to take off at the start/finish line,no big,I took it in stride,like I wrote a few weeks ago,when things are going well performance and time wise the minor things that go wrong,stop watches malfunctioning,having to slow for other runners don,t bug me as much...but on a bad day....
Final repeat,thought I was feeling it early on...yeah right,71 seconds at 400m,13 seconds for the closing 100m,I crushed this workout but as I said to Ray in an email during the week the real test won,t be Penn Relays per se but the following weeks at Deleware and Widner when I return to my distances the 800m and 1,500m,then I,ll really be able to gauge how well I,m doing,but between now and there there are more workout and Penn Relays to deal w/ first.

No comments: