Sunday, April 20, 2008

Stick!Stick!!Stick!!!

Technically an easy/off day,however being as I was on 27 miles I opted to crank out a 3 miler while waiting for Chuck,Daryl and Rick when I got to Haverford since scheduling meant either getting to the R5 stop at Haverford at 12.07pm or 1.07pm for a scheduled 1pm workout,I got there at 12.07pm and rather than sit and look at the track I figured"have at it"
A 1.39 opening 400m lead to a 6.24 opening mile, some quick math lead me to think 19.12 would make for a fair 3 miler......5.51 for the second mile{12.15} and 5.50 for the last mile brought me home in 18.05.86,some 67 seconds faster............
Rounded my weekly milage out to 31 miles w/ a mile cool down w/ Chuck b4 we got down to the business of hand offs,mercifully no repeat of Thursdays freak accident!!!
I continue to evolve as a relay runner,today I learnt a few things that providing I execute correctly on Saturday could help me shave a second off of my time,learning not to have my arm too far up when receiving the baton in the exchange zone being one of them"hand up,arm down",also learning to give the in coming runner the inside of the lane too..........of course this is all well and good on the track when it,s practise,but come Saturday afternoon in front of 39,000 spectators it,s a question of trying to execute all that while trying to position myself for the anchor leg and hopefully bring the team home in a decent time and place.
We,re seeded 7th of 9 teams,realistically the top 4 teams Southwest Sprinters A&B,Synergy and Central Park will be head and shoulders above the field leaving us to duke it out w/ 2nd Wind and Shore AC for 5th spot,I have a personal score to settle w/ Shore AC and their leg Bob Andrews,after last years hand off between Scott and Daryl I had too much ground to make up by the time I got the baton.....but it wasn,t for the want of trying and lest we forget Millrose when Bob caught me for third off that final turn,all I ask for this Saturday is a a level playing field,I know Bob is a great runner and a good guy......but this is business and when it comes to track I,m all business.

No comments: