Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Week That Was......In Cliff Note Form.

Monday,day off,since I didn,t have the luxury of a day off of work I now had to play catch up on all the things that hadn,t been done while I was in Boston.
Tuesday back to the track,I knew I hadn,t been to my beloved Franklin Field in a while but I was gobsmacked to discover it hadn,t been since Feb 27th and I hadn,t done a track workout since March 2nd.....JAYSUS!!!!!!!!!!!
Mile warm up,mile of strides,8x50m,mile cool down,enjoyed my 50m repeats,I think it was Tom Cruise in ''Top Gun" who said"I feel the need for speed"and that,s me right now the only way to get back to where I was last summer is to cain the bejaysus out of my three track workouts per week.
Wednesday Easy 5 miles around Clark Park,w/ my beloved Iron Maiden set to play on June 17th it was time to throw some live Maiden on the olde ipod and have at it!!!!
Thursday another track workout,mile warm up,8x150m then an easy 300m at 1.20 pace w/ a crushing final 100m thrown in at the end b4 the always mile cool down.
Tuesdays 50m were untimed,GP wanted me to work on form but today the old trusy stop watch was in full effect 1st 3 150m @24 secs,4th-6th@22 sec,7th @21.5,8th@20 secs
22.04,21.92,21.82 for the opening set,faster than needed but again just feeling that I can actually run fast is such a rush for me right now not to mention a shot of much need confidence after last weekend
22.26,23.46,22.81 for the second set, I,m miffed at the second one because an oblivious runner in lane 5 cost me dearly on that one,I,ll spare you all the diatribe I used in my email to GP after the workout regarding the matter,lets just say hell hath no fury like a runner forced to miss a repeat split because another runner doesn,t get out of the way!
22.29 for #7,21.35 for #8,down on where I was aiming for and YES it,s soooo bleedin obvious that HAD I,ve ran the opening set at pace I,d have had the chops for the final two at pace.....I,ve never read Prust and I can,t read pace either!!!!
A fact borne out on the final repeat,80 second pace for the opening 300m went to 65 secs and then I cained the closing 100m in 15.49.
Friday easy 3 miler around Clark Park w/ a few light strides thrown in to ready myself for tomorrows race
Saturday 4x400m relay,following last weeks bitter disappoinment I wanted/needed a good race to restore my confidence,I opted against running either the mile or 800m in addition to the relay,I tend to treat relays w/ the respect they warrent and go to the meet to run a relay and relay alone.
We{Chuck,Rick and Daryl and I}were treating today as a rehearsel for Penn Relays in three weeks time,we ran a 3.55.6 which I believe we,ll run faster than at Penn.
For me a 57 sec split,I,m pleased w/ that.....for now,I want to be faster and better come Penn,not only did I get that shot of confidence today I regained that enjoyment side to my running that was so missing leading up Indoor Nationals,the slate has been wiped clean it,s outdoor season now a whole new ball game.
Sunday an easy 4 miler around Clark Park w/ Keane,s "Hopes And Fears" on the ipod,20 miles for the week and a whole weeks worth of training on the books.
This was my "transition" week,starting tomorrow it,s week 1 of the 2 week cycle GP and I agreed on,I,ll go back to my tried and tested 6x600m,2x1,000m and 4x1mile repeats for week 1,GP will give me workouts for week 2 and we,ll go from there.
As I walked home from Clark Park after todays easy 4 miles Keane,s "Can,t Stop Now" happened to be playing,the final refrain of that song goes"the motion keeps my heart running",yes dear reader/readers I,m back to training,writing my blog and quoting lyrics,all is good in the universe again

No comments: