Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hammer To Fall

Another day lost to the rain yesterday,another spanner in the works re my rotation,and trust me on this one,I REALLY could,ve used a track workout yesterday........w/out going into too much detail let,s just say that at the begining of my day there were two wooded crates adjacent to the loading dock,by days end said crates resembled kindling after I,d taken a hammer to them,today I wanted to "drop the hammer" on my 6x600m repeats!!!!
Ominously when I reached Roxboro around 5pm the skies were getting dark and as I lay in the infield doing my stretches I felt a few spits of rain,if need be I was prepared to switch up to 2x1000m if it began to rain hard,thankfully it didn,t and my projected 6x600m was still a go.......since I,m out of wooden crates at work it was IMPERATIVE a track workout of some kind took place this evening!!!!
66 seconds for my opening 400m,I can recall not too long ago when a 69 second opening 400m was a wow,1.39.49 a 33 second 200m
69 seconds for my second 400m followed by a 32 second closing 200m 1.41.59,fairly identical splits to my opening 2 600s from last Wednesday.
1.12/36 for a third 600m in 1.48.27,a little too close for comfort,that 36 would throw my overall average off come the end of the session.
1.13/33 for #4 a 1.46.42 600m,the wheel fell off on repeat#5 last week,could I hang on this week?
1.14/33,a 1.47.10 split five for five,I just needed to keep it together for one more repeat.
I knew coming down the home straight I was off pace maybe 40 meters from the line I could sense my pace was a fraction slower than I wanted it to be.....1.18.....*@#$,somehow I found it in me to dredge up my 4th 33 second 200m to close in 1.51.59,close but no cigar,and close only counts in horseshoes as we all know!!!
Am I disappointed to miss that final repeat?........hell yeah!!am I pleased to notch another five out of six in "The Death Zone".....absolutely!
Fingers crossed the rain won,t bugger up my plans for Friday,s 2X1,000m repeat,I,m also hoping that my beloved Franklin Field will be available to me again,meaning only one more trek to Roxboro,Sunday for my 4x1 mile repeats.
A word of commiseration to Chelski who feel short this afternoon in their quest for the Champions League final,obviously schleeping to Roxboro meant I couldn,t watch the game but I caught the highlites when I got home,to lose on penalties always sucks but I believe in my black pagan heart of hearts they will lift the Champions League trophy in the not too distant future.

No comments: