Saturday, May 31, 2008

It Didn,t Rain On My Parade

Not only did I defeat all b4 me in the 1,500m but I also had the satisfaction of beating the rain,for my race and my post race 6 miler.
Even after 32 years of running it,s still reasuring to feel nervous the morning of a race,today was no different,being a National Champion and a 5th Ave Mile winner doesn,t stop me from feeling that nervous antisipation from the time the alarm goes off till the gun gets fired,I,ve said b4 and will probably say again,I,d get nervous if I wasn,t nervous!!!.
So much for the 1,500m going off at 9.45am,it was closer to 10.10am b4 I toed the starting line,in the general scheme of things no big,however when you,ve timed your warm up to be primed and ready for 9.45am and it,s still another 25 mins b4 you,ll run it,s a tad frustrating,as I ,ve stated b4 adversity presents it,s self in several forms,it,s how you handle it,rather than get flustered I mellowed out to some Coldplay on my ipod b4 switching to one of the several battle anthems on there,DMX,s "Who We Be"I,ve often listened to that on my way to a repeat workout at Franklin Field,anytime "Who We Be" gets dialed up I know it,s business time.
Was seeded 2nd of 6 runners,I put down 4.21 as my seed time so I was curious what the runner inside of me had put to get the pole,I,m glad I didn,t use up alot of energy thinking about it,from the gun he hit the front only to slow to a pedestrian pace....sorry I wanted this to be brisk even if it meant hitting the front myself and going into the first turn I hit the front.
Unbelievable no clock at the finish line for a Championship meet,I only know my 400m splits because Mike,a team mate of second place Phil Reiley was calling them out 66 seconds at 400m.
When Phil went by me at 600m I was happy to let him,if I didn,t have to do all work up front then so be it,2.16 at 800m, a 1.10 lap.
I know Phil from several 800m races we,ve had,I wasn,t sure what his 1,500m credentials were but I was happy to tuck in behind him and not panic,the bell rang and I took off,I would love to know what my final 400m split was I went through 1,200m in 3.26,another 1.10 lap and covered the final 300m in 48 seconds finishing in 4.14.04,my second fastest ever 1,500m and a 6 second improvement on the 4.21.39.I ran here three weeks ago,I got my two pre race wishes a win and a sub 4.20 time.
I know I can run faster,letting Phil take control of the race between 600m and 1,100m allowed me to back off a little had I,ve continued to push the pace who knows what my finishing time would,ve been,a question for another day,NJ C,ships in Monmouth in two weeks time I hope.
Todays medal marks 5 for the season,109 for my career,the 1,500m victory marked my third over the distance since an indoor meet at The Armory in Dec 06,I,m still a novice at 1,500m since high school I,ve only got 9 1,500m races to my credit but I,m continuing to learn how to run this race.
Next up time to drop down to my other distance the 800m,having opened my account for the season w/ a 2.03.07 five weeks ago it,ll be interesting to see what I can do off of my recent training,guess we,ll find out Friday evening.

No comments: