Saturday, May 3, 2008

Prehaps I Wasn,t Joking Afterall

Last Monday when Scott sent me the splits for Penn and Chuck sent me the official attendance I joked"just call me Prime Time Baby"I stress now as I did then I was joking,following todays race maybe I shouldn,t be joking.
My goal going into todays 800m race was to try and run 2.06,I,d only managed to clock 2.12 indoors and as long as I improved on that I,d feel I was at least moving in the right direction,based on Tuesdays back to back to back 1.46s over 600m I felt 2.06 was doable.
By the time I arrived at the University of Delaware and registered I had just enough time to do a mile warm up and stretch b4 being called to the line along w/ 4 other runners,no time to think or over think things just get out there and run....and w/ that the gun went off.
As is often my wont my reaction to the gun wasn,t great and I was last coming off the line but in a five man field that suited me dispite being 5th going into the first turn I soon moved into 4th down the back straight and heard Chuck call out a 29 second 200m split,I went through 400m in 59 seconds and was amazed how comfortable I felt.Lightning seemed to strike twice on the back straight as I again passed a runner and again went outside rather than try and squeeze through on the inside and risk a DQ if there was contact,1.29 at 600m,later Chuck would confirm it was 1.29.99,so almost 1.30 and I drew level w/ the second place runner who to his credit responded.
It,s still early in my season to be able to mix it up coming off the turn but give me another month or so till my next 800m race and I,d like to think I,ll have a stronger finish,2.01.50 for the winner,2.01.56 for the runner up,2.03.07 for me...........yep 2.03,no typo no bs,I was gobsmacked!!!!
I honestly did not expect to run that fast today,I had said of today and next Saturdays 1,500m that I,d have a better idea of where I,m at right now once I,d ran a race at my distances,last season I didn,t get to run an outdoor 800m till June 9th when I anchored a 4x800m and then an open 800m on June22nd,my splits then were 2.02 and 2.03.55 so you can imagine how rewarding it is for me to clock a 2.02.07 on May 3rd.
I won,t be getting carried away w/ today there,s still weeks and months of hard work to be done but this was an unexpected surprize and one I,d like to build on.

No comments: