Friday, January 2, 2009

Cannonball

It,s conventional wisdom when testing the waters to, A stick your big toe in and see how the water feels,B inch your way in slowly but surely of C take a running jump and cannonball it,three guesses which option I went w/ for my long overdue return to repeats???
Upon arrival at St Joe,s my first reaction was "good I can get on the track" which isn,t always the case here,after a mile warm up w/ much emphasis on warm I stretched b4 conduting a mile of strides and preparing for my 4x400m repeats.
The plan was open w/ a 70 second first 400m,take a 90 second recovery,run a 69 second second 400m w/ a 75 second recovery,a 68 second third 400m w/ only 60 seconds to recovery for the final 400m in 67 seconds.
Never one to judge pace nor pay attention to intermediate splits I made a point of checking my opening 100m split,I was aiming for 17/17.5 secs,I got 15 secs,31 seconds at 200m I tried to ease up on the home straight only to clock 64.02....so much for 70 seconds!!!
It was more of the same on repeat #2 and dispite telling myself to ease up I clocked a 61.17,it was going to take some doing to get the final two repeats to continue to come down period especially w/ deminishing recovery time.
At 200m on repeat #3 I felt the acid lactate in my calves, I still managed to finish strongly albeit in 62.85,w/ only 60 seconds to recover there was precious little in the way of time to think about anything.
At 200m in on repeat#4 that acid lactate build up in my calves became more pronounced,where I,d been able to cruise the botttom bend on the three previous repeats this time it was a struggle as was evident in my final 100m,where I,d flowed on repeats #1,2 and 3 this time it was a laboured effort,67.32.
While I,m a little disappointed in my final repeat overall I,m delighted to be back on a track and doing speed work,alas next weeks overall schedule isn,t favourable but from the following week I do feel weather permitting I can hit the track two or three times a week depending on my race schedule.
In general I,m pleased to be back in the mindset of repeats,I,ll stick w/ the 4x400m thro Jan b4 upping to the more conventional 6x600m come Febuary.
While my timing on the track needs some work,my timing getting off the track b4 the snow shower was priceless,the first tell tale flakes began to fall as I lumbered up the home straight one final time!!!

No comments: