Thursday, January 28, 2010

And Then There Were Five

The final line up for Friday's Masters 4x4 relay at Millrose was announced yesterday,Central Park,Greater Philly A,Mass Velocity,Shore AC,Greater Philly B.
After a few years of trials and tribulations trying to get here this year has been no different,the new relay rule on the club that the four fastest runners would be {rightfully}selected meant I thought this year I would be shit out of luck......and then only 4 teams entered the 6 team event,and bingo an eleventh hour reprieve for yours truly.

I'm hoping for a stress free day tomorrow unlike last years debit card debacle that almost cost me a place on the relay and very nearly saw Chuck having to run in my place,note to self,debit card and cash tomorrow at 30th St train station!!!!!!!
My final workout b4 "The Big Dance" was 8x200m at Franklin Field last nite,while I wholeheartedly subscribe to the time honoured theory that"you're not going to get any faster in the last week"b4 a race a little lite fast twitch muscle workout wouldn't go a miss.

I set myself a time frame of between 32 and 34 seconds per 200m w/ a 90 second recovery in between I went:33.87,33.90,32.33,32.12,32.81,32.13,33.49,31.82.
I have to say I'm well pleased w/ this workout,I started out at a moderate pace b4 kicking it up a notch and averaging a 32 second per 200m pace.
I realize that in 400m there's precious little in the way of time to think,it's all reaction but as long as I remember the basics,arms,knee lift,leg turnover I should be on for a good race,I have an idea where I'll be in terms of position come the final hand off and then it's all about 2 and 3/4 laps around the hallowed boards of Madison Square Gardens,who knows perhaps for the last time in my career,if I can come away w/ a medal I'd be more than happy, if this potential swan song is to have a happy ended lays in the lap of the gods till the gun goes off at 4.21pm and then it falls into the hands and legs of my team mates to etch our way into Millrose history.

No comments: