Saturday, January 9, 2010

8 100ths Of A Second Between Me And The Millrose Games

Well it's official....I ran again this morning,after a blip on my schedule for the past several months I'm back to trying to run each day....or at least 6 days a week.
I'd forgotten what it's like to get up on a Saturday morning and get my run in,probably late April/early May b4 the achilles injury but it was fun,I hit Cobbs Creek Parkway around 10.30am for my out and back 5 miler.
I'm still paying for my naivety that 3 track workouts a week would be enough to keep me ticking over,in fairness maybe they would and still could, but I had lapsed into bad habits recently and the fact that outside of my races on Dec 27th,Jan3rd,and 7th I'd done no training at all,a combination of Franklin Field being closed and getting soft when the mercury dropped below 33 degrees meant that first Sunday and then Thursday saw me turn in lackluster performances that while a major suck fest were the boot up the arse I needed to get me back to where I was pre achilles.

I'm hopeful by the end of next week the 5 milers will feel a little easier,I don't think it was the sub zero air that was forcing me to huff and puff this morning,I had to cut tangents on the CCP to help me get through but I managed,seasons cannot be won or lost in January but can be shaped and molded,my return to full scale training may have come too late for me to salvage this month but frankly if I execute over three quarters of my 6 days a week runs between now and the next Armory meet on Feb 11th I should be close to the kind of form that''ll result in a fast mile or 2 miler.
I hope tomorrow I have enough to get me through my 400m run off,it's a bit like the Olympic/World C'ship trials,only three of the six of us who run tomorrow will join Nick at MSG for the Millrose Games on Jan 29th.
Right now I'm 5th fastest, 8 100ths of a second between me and a third Millrose Games,on the outside looking in w/ my nose very much pressed up against the glass,the permutations are far and wide,bottom line I need to run like a bat out of hell,lest we forget my 26.1/29.5-54.6 400m split two weeks ago in the 800m,I know I've got it in me,I just have to reproduce it at "Thunderdome"....you know where"six men go in,only three will come out"

No comments: