Sunday, January 31, 2010

What Lies Beyond

I hadn't planned to make yesterday a "fuck off day'' but between not getting home till 1.40am and not going to bed till 2.20am it was small wonder I slept till 1.10.pm.
Coupled w/ the late start to my day,the below freezing temps and the desire to write my blog{and I knew it was going to be a long entry}I figured why not invoke a rest day,after all I could still run today and notch another 30 mile week.
In spite of the lite dusting of snow I was dressed and out the door by 10.15am to run my 8 miler,my only real concern was what my route would be,the traditional out and back along Cobbs Creek Parkway is 6 miles and I thought about running down Cedar Ave to 47th St and back,which wasn't w/out it's charms or I could run a mile beyond my usual turnaround point on CCP.

I've often wondered what the route along the parkway looks like and today I found out,granted it won't always look as picturesque w/ a sky full of sun and a ground full of snow but it sure looked pretty this morning.
W/ a slightly longer run than usual I had a little more time to think,ponder,plan the coming weeks,Millrose in all it's glory is over now,time to think about my Feb race schedule and how it pertains to Indoor Nationals in nine weeks time,this coming week is a non race week,somewhat of a rarity in recent weeks,so weather permitting it's a full compliment of 6x600m,5x1,000m and 4x1mile repeats and three 6 miles.

My final thoughts on Millrose for now:just like I'm forever indebted to Nick B,Scott and Bob Mc for my World Record I'll forever be indebted to Nick D,Daryl and Dave for my Millrose medal.
It remains to be seen if the Masters 4x4 is still a part of Millrose,I hope for current and future Masters runners it is.
If this was my last Millrose Games,I at least went out in style.
I hope for me I haven't ran my last Millrose Games Masters 4x4 but I do think I may've taken full advantage of my best and maybe last chance to medal.
There were several great quotes post race....sadly several are not pc enough for my blog,but two of my favourites,Tony Plaster a Shore AC masters runner who I've known since 06 when I got involved in masters track saying to Chuck after we'd taken gold and bronze"wow you guys have come along way from the team who showed up in 06 hoping someone would let you in"
And in a classic example of what it's like on our team,post race w/ medals in hand I mentioned to Bob Mc how lucky he,Nick B,Daryl,and Dave were to win a Millrose medal at the first attempt where Nick D needed two attempts and myself,Scott and Ray had twice been the 7th place and alternate team in 06 and 07 and then twice 4th place in 08 and 09,Bob Mc smiled and said"just another day at the office for me"!!!
Last and by no means least,Thank You to Chuck for doing all the leg work to make sure all three GPTC teams were able to run this year...and thanks also to Ray for mentioning to Chuck after only four teams entered"hay maybe we can put a B team in"....the rest they say is history.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying how much pure pleasure you get from training and racing, and how much gratitude you show to teammates, competitors, etc. (Tony Plaster is a funny guy with many of the same attributes.) Thanks for sharing so much on your blog.
-- From NH, near J.D. Salinger's home of the past 50 years

kevin f forde said...

Thank you,for years b4 my blog I kept a running log that no one saw,but once the idea of a blog came along and I could share my thoughts and feelings w/ anyone willing to read what I had to say I was only too happy to"put it out there"
For every reader like yourself who enjoys what I have to say,I thank you