Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chapter And Verse

In running as is in life I don't go out of my way to brake my hand patting myself on the back but I feel last nites 5x1,000m repeats were as close to text book as can be.
After a three week lull in repeats due to the closure of my beloved Franklin Field I'm back in the swing of hitting the track post work to get my repeats in,last week saw all three{6x600m/5x1,000m/4x1mile}while this week and next week will see two as I have a race on my schedule which always throws off a third,I love to race and after all isn't that why I do repeats,so that I can race faster?but races on the schedule do mean one less repeat per week,after next week's race I have a week of potentially three repeats b4 a then 5 week race schedule b4 a week off and then Indoor Nationals.

For a while it looked like I may be SOL for getting on the track,when I arrived Penn's athletes were still working out and since it's their track after all and untill the end of March the track closes at 6pm but by 4.50pm only two were left and I asked the coach if it was ok for me to warm up on the outside lanes,he gave me his blessing and said his guys were all but done and I could have lane 5,so far,so good.
W/ a slight crispness in the air I donned gloves,it's funny Monday was 50 degrees and today was 45 degrees but it was noticeable how much cooler it was even though there was only 5 degrees difference,safety first,two races in two weeks I can ill afford to get careless and or sick.

#1,1000m 1.20,1.25-37-3.22.08.While the second lap 1.25 was a bit of a downer I was reasonably pleased,last week in my first 5x1,000s in a few weeks I went3.26,3.26,3.21,3.21,3.17.
#2,1,000m 1.18,1.23,38-3.19.02.Gained 2 seconds on the opening 400 and in doing so ran my fastest split to date,let's not get giddy about a 1.18,I can go faster,and will but for now it's all about baby steps.
#3,1,000m 1.19,1.20,39-3.18.91.Ok 39 seconds is far from text book,however each repeat had gotten faster and it's not often I can boast that distinction,rather than have that one"clear the fences"repeat I was looking at the overall picture here,"little by little"
#4,1,000m 1.17,1.21,40-3.18.08.Not even a loose shoe lace could derail me,I could feel it catching me in the back coming up the home straight but remained zen like in my focus to get to the line and in another faster than the previous repeat.
#5,1,000m 1.20,1.22,35-3.17.42.How'd ya like me now!Was a tad concerned w/ the 1.20 opener,it's still early in my return to basics and I have to remember the body is still just a shade behind where the mind would like me to be,2.42 at 800m I knew I had to go some in the final 200m and did,being consistent throughout the repeats meant I had change of pace left at the death....just like you'd like it to be!

In a week I've seen a dramatic upswing in my form and a skyrocketing in my confidence,it may be too late to get me "in the mix" Saturday but if I can be competitive that'll be a major improvement in my last race and who knows if for once I stick to my pre race race plan then maybe,just maybe I can be there or thereabouts at the bell.......

No comments: