Friday, January 29, 2010

Running Down A Dream

So,this is it I have an hour b4 heading over to 30th St station to take the train to New York via Trenton to Madison Square Garden and the 103rd Millrose Games.
Last nite was your typical nite b4 a race,easy run and pasta dinner,I recalled several easy runs b4 or after a big race where my former coach would say"no matter how slow you're running it's probably too fast"and granted the 6 miler is more about building towards my weekly mileage total but a little lite leg turnover never hurts either.....just as long as I remember to save it all for the anchor leg of this afternoons relay,no point leaving it all out there on Cobbs Creek Parkway if I can't deliver the goods at MSG!!!!

I never take running here for granted,this is my 3rd race at Millrose,add my bonus run in 06 and that's four times on the hallowed 145m track,that's four more than some high school,college,professional and masters runners ever manage,I've come along way from the skinny kid running through Memorial Gardens in Lewisham South East London all those years ago,much less the same kid who watched in awe on Saturday afternoons on "World Of Sport" when they'd show Millrose Games highlites,sure I thought how neat it'd be to run in the footsteps of my heroes Ronnie Delaney,Marcus O Sullivan and of course "The Chairman Of The Boards"Eamonn Coghlan but now to actually do it?
Ok granted it's not the Wanamaker Mile it's only a Masters 4x400m relay but it might as well be for me,this is everything to me,in a 34 year career that's seen National Championships,5th Avenue Mile titles,and a recent World Record I just want a Millrose Games medal to add to my collection,today maybe my best and last chance at that, so to quote the great Carl Lewis who knew a thing or two about great performances period but also here at Millrose''I just wanted to know I left it all out there on the track"......nuff said!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not gonna spoil anything for the other readers, but I snuck a peek at the results and am looking forward to reading your report!!

(wish I had remembered to set the DVR last nite-doh!)

kevin f forde said...

Hey,thanks for the post,very considerate of you not wishing to spoil it for the other readers{who knew I had other readers...LOL!!}
Anywho my report is posted,hope you enjoy reading it,I sure as hell enjoyed writing it,but not half as much as I enjoyed living it!!!
Hope you enjoy it.