Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dancing In The Dark

Yowzer!50 degrees today,great running weather period,but in mid January.....bring it on!
I arrived at sunny Franklin Field at 4.15pm w/ an added spring in my step{I'll dish the details in my blog tomorrow....trust me it's worth waiting for!!!}
Stretched after my mile warm up and strongly considered stripping down to my base level as it was warm enough but I knew w/ a 4.50pm beginning it'd be closer to 5.20pm when I got done, and w/ a race this Saturday I didn't want to to play fast and loose and run the risk of getting sick,I'm gonna have to be at my best on Saturday as it is!,that said any day the ski hat and gloves can stay in my bag and I can roll up my sleeves is a good day.

Looking to build on last weeks slow splits but overall solid performance in my 6x600m I was keen to "have at it"this evening.
#1,600m 70-40-1.50.44.Where the @!#* did that 70 second opening 400m come from??I closed my mile repeats in 69 seconds two days ago!!!
Needless to say I eased up over the closing 200m but the feeling was that the Acme Anvil was waiting for me.....
#2,600m 74-37-1.51.93.Not that it's a badge of honour but I was already up on last weeks splits..which let's face it shouldn't be hard but in fairness last Tuesdays repeats were my first since Dec 18th.
#3,600m 74-37-1.51.21.Much like Thursdays 5x1,000m and Saturdays 4x1mile repeats there was a level of consistency that is pleasing to see,as time goes by my splits will get faster,trust me on that!
#4,600m 75-36-1.51.01.Wow,having ran a controled opening 200m I was able to pour it on over the final 400m and drop a 36 second closing 200m but I kept an eye on the sky waiting for said Acme Anvil,just like in the cartoons I could hear it falling.....
#5,600m 78-37-1.55.20.Splat!live by the sword,die by the sword,I knew that 70 second opener would come back to bite me in the rump and now I had the teeth marks to prove it!
#6,600m 76-35-1.51.84.A nice finish to a solid workout,had I not put myself in the hole w/ the 76 second opening 400m I think another 1.50 was on the cards,that said had I not gone out in 70 seconds on the opening 400m I think I'd have been hitting 1.50s for all 6 600m....but there is always next week for that.

By the time I changed out of my flats and conducted my mile cool down darkness had descended over Franklin Field,there was no security detail there today so no floodlights turned on b4 dusk,in four years of repeats there I'm confident of finding my way around in the dark....if need be,but let's not and say we did!
A quantum leap on last weeks 600s of 1.54s,1.55s and 2 flat,no wonder my customary smile and clenched fist pump were evident as I made my out of Franklin Field tonite

No comments: