Thursday, February 3, 2011

No Deposit No Return

You can tell it's getting close to a trip to Boston when Boston's finest Dropkick Murphys make an appearance in my blog,trust me the ipod is loaded and I'll be kicking it on my way up to Beantown this weekend.
Easy 10 miler today,the conditions underfoot were much better today than yesterday,where as yesterday saw me contend w/ slushy ice underfoot today saw a lot more of Cobbs Creek Parkway sidewalk available to run on and the ice that was still out there was a lot more solid and easier to run on.
Having said that I knew two days b4 a race,ice or no ice that taking it easy was the watch word of the day,take an extra few steps to avoid ice if need be,don't be hung up on pace just get through the run in one piece,mission accomplished.

While surfing through the net this morning I came across some stuff on Jim Spivey,back in the day when the USA had several top milers Jim Spivey was my favourite of the bunch that included Steve Scott and Sidney Maree,if you don't include Bernard Lagat on the grounds that he was originally from Kenya Jim Spivey was the last American to win a medal at Worlds in 1987 in Rome when he won bronze in the 1,500m.
Anywho while reading up on what he's been up to since he retired from running I discovered he coached at the University of Chicago and one of his mantras to his athletes was"No Deposit No Return" and I totally get that today was a classic example of that,I could've bailed citing the risk of catching a cold given it was at freezing,could've said it's icy maybe I shouldn't risk it so close to a race,any nunber of excuses but if I want to log 50 miles this week I had to get out there and run today,No Deposit No Return,granted today was more about keeping one eye on my weekly mileage total than keeping the engine ticking over for Saturday but in running as in life if you want both you can have them,you just have to be smart about it.

W/ that in mind tomorrow is an easy 6 miler to keep things ticking over w/out taxing myself prior to the race but also leaving myself w/ an easy target to compleat 50 miles either side of Saturdays race and Sunday and then it's off to Boston via New York.

No comments: