Saturday, February 12, 2011

Told You So!

Well I did say that jumping in to an 800m race w/out speed work was potentially dangerous on Wednesday!
As is my won't I opted for the seeded heat between 1.45-2.00,it's fair to say that even a 2.00 is wishful thinking for me right now but if I was going to find out where I was why not do it in a fast heat?
I lined up 8th of 10 on the starting line and got a good reaction to the gun,however I was left at the back of the field almost immediately which just underlines my lack of leg turnover,not only have I not been on a track for repeats since Dec 24th but my last repeats prior to the 4 repeats I managed in mid December came in mid September.
29 seconds at 200m and 31 seconds for the second 200,60 seconds at 400m,if I thought I was in over my head b4 the gun went off I knew it for a fact now!
I did manage to overhaul the 9th place runner just after 400m but the rest of the field were clear of me,now it was just a matter of digging in and seeing it through to the finish.
1.32 at 600m a 32 second 200m b4 closing in 2.06.0 off a 34 second final 200m.

Not exactly what I had hoped for time wise,conventional wisdom dictated that 2.04 would've been a legit target time but even falling short of that by 2 seconds would've been a disappointment.
This time last year I found myself w/ plenty of speed work and next to no mileage under the hood,now it's a reversal of that,plenty of miles but next to no speed but just like last year when I corrected that and went on to have a great season I'm confident I can do the same again this year.

While we still have 5 more weeks of winter things are getting warmer,there's been no snow for 2 weeks and none forecast for the upcoming week which means getting to a track on Saturdays and doing hill repeats on Tuesdays until the track at Temple is user friendly again.
If last January's 4.51 mile was the bitch slap that was heard around the world then Thursday was a flash knockdown that left me on my butt in the middle of the ring,I was humbled and now it's time to do what needs to be done to turn that 2.06 in to a 2.01 or lower b4 July.
There's 5 weeks till my next 800m and another 3 b4 my outdoor season opener,I need to make sure I'm doing repeats at least once a week between now and then to get that leg speed up to par.

2 comments:

dinklesnaps said...

Kev,

I hope all is well. As for me, my training has been quite poor. I just can't get going. I need a lot of work, as demonstrated by my poor showing in the 800 today at Glen Mills. Out of curiosity, what are you thinking of doing next Saturday for your workout, and when and where?

kevinf said...

Sorry to hear that,chances are it'll be Sunday when I hit the track again for 12x400m