Monday, June 13, 2011

Out For Blood

Don't feel like Satan,but I am to them so I try to forget it anyway I can
Rocking In The Free World-Neil Young

It's 31 years almost to the day that I left high school and I've spent most of that time in the workforce,one thing I've learned is that from time to time you're going to have a bad day,the hope is the following day will be a better one............
I deliberately glossed over the horror show that was Friday in the hope that today would be a better day,I was sadly wrong!
Again w/out going all FYI I walked into a myriad of cock ups just like I did on Friday which frankly had me on a blood lust not seen since the days of the geezer in the picture,Vlad The Impaler whom it is though Bram Stoker based the novel Dracula on.

To say Vlad liked blood would be a bit like saying Attila The Hun had"anger management" issues,he was a bad boy but one well worth doing some history research on if you like you villains to be blood thirsty and all conquering,anywho like Vlad I was on a one man rampage baying for blood this morning.
I'm not proud of it but sometimes to get your point across you have kick a few chairs and turn over a few tables or the equivalent thereof to get people to realise how seriously pissed off you are,I left it in no uncertain terms this morning I was pissed and out for blood and amazingly by mid morning a lot of the problems that had blighted my morning were being resolved.
In fairness you can only play the "Vlad" card once in a blue(or blood red)moon and now that its done it's hopefully time to move on,tomorrow as they say is another day and I for one will be hoping for a better and less furniture moving one!!

W/ all that anger and angst still coursing through my system the odds of a brisk 6 miler were favourable this evening and I'm pleased to say I didn't disappoint!!!
It didn't hurt that the conditions were close to idyllic moderate heat and low humidity and early indications were a fast time was on,I went through 2 miles in 14.18 and reached the turn around in 21.50,40 seconds faster than my previous best the concern was not "bonking" in the inbound 3 miles as I'd barely eaten all day.
I was a second off of identical splits,back in 21.51 to clock 43.41.7. a full 2.06 faster than yesterday and also 2.31 faster than my previous best of 45.12.6.
After weeks of grinding out 7.30 mile pace to be closer to 7 minutes was a huge lift to my confidence,granted one good run doesn't mean all is well w/in or signal a legitimate run at the 5,000m at Worlds but to have knee lift and leg turnover at the end of tonites run was a welcome return and I look forward to building on this.

4 comments:

Kevin C. Tofel said...

Some good news or a solid run is just what the doctor ordered for you - glad to hear it! Build on that momentum and you won't even remember this blip on the radar when it comes to the big meets next month! :)

kevin f forde said...

Thanks Kev,it might be a bit premature to start working on a victory speech for Worlds and Nationals but it's a step in the right direction and something to build on.
Congrats on your Perk Mile

observer again said...

I'm curious as to why you're timing all of these six mile runs. I think you'd benefit from enjoying them and just going how you feel each day. The added pressure (and apparent frustration) of not hitting a specific time may be counterproductive, at least psychologically. It's great to know that you're on the road to recovery though. But the temptation to turn so many runs into time trials may have contributed to your recent staleness. Relax. I think you'll be coming home with some medals. You know that you could hammer out a 36-minute six mile almost any time you set your mind to it, so don;t fret over the 43s. They serve their purpose.

kevin f forde said...

Observer{which is one of the better English newspapers by the way!!!} it's funny you should say that as the basis of todays blog entry was the fact I ran my 4 miler untimed!
Granted there's alot to be said for just"running on feel" and maybe I should do that more often but had I've not timed last nites run I'd have never known how much faster I ran than in previous 6 milers.
My 10,000m pr of 34.44.3. would've won me a bronze last year,I know I can run faster but a lot will depend on who shows up at this years Nationals as to me getting on the podium,or not.
Again I thank you for your observations and comments.