Sunday, June 12, 2011

Snakes And Ladders

It was once said"a week in masters track is a long time" frankly a day can be just as long as I found out over the weekend!
Since I wasn't planning to go to the Mid Atlantic C'ships to begin w/ long b4 my piss poor form made sure that any race in my immediate future was almost futile a weekend of 6 milers out and back along Cobbs Creek Parkway seemed to be the agenda.

Following Friday's 46.01.6.I felt like I'd turned a corner.....only to record my second slowest 6 miler of the week some 21 hours later,while the heat had dropped off considerably the humidity was still hanging around,so much so that come Sunday morning another 21 hours after the fact my dri fit sleeveless top was still damp!!
I felt I was on for a fast time Saturday after eyeballing my watch at a couple of"'unofficial" splits along the route,I reached the turnaround in 22.41 which was my second fastest turnaround split........however the humidity took it's toil over the second half of the run as my combined splits of 22.41/24.53 came out to 47.34.7. bringing me back down to earth after Friday's semi impressive 46.01.6.
W/ hindsight I probably attacked the opening couple of miles too aggressively,I might've ran a decent 4 miler off that pace but right now 6 is the name of the game.....back to the bottom of the pile!!

Sunday proved to be a different kettle of fish,conditions were not only cooler but less humid when I set off just gone 10am,good practice for the 10,000m at Nationals which is scheduled to go off at 10am as Roy Keane used to say"failure to prepare,prepare for failure".
Having gotten my fingers burned yesterday by going out too hard I paid close attention to my "unofficial'' splits today on route to a 22.55 turnaround,in the 6 day of 6 milers since last Sunday my turnaround splits have been:22.30-22.55-23.48*-22.54-22.41-22.55.*(it was 96 degrees that afternoon for crying out loud!!!!)reasonably consistent and based off of the 46.41.3. and 46.01.6. I'd ran off of previous 22.55/22.54 turnarounds another 46 min time looked on the cards.
Quite how I managed a negative split of 22.55/22.52 for a combined 45.47.7. is beyond me,I did feel strong over the second half of the run and as a true believer in the adage of"there are no coincidences" the fact I had several choice words for "Speed Racer" at the intersection of Cobbs Creek Parkway and Whitby Avenue when they not only had the gaul to make an illegal left hand turn on a red light but then toot their horn at me in the middle of said intersection as I'm crossing on a green light may've helped me pick up the pace in the final two miles....for those curious as to my reply to said horn tooting I believe "Speed Racer" was reliably informed that the next time that happened said steering coloum would be ripped out of the car and shoved up their arse.......trifle ye not w/ very pissed off possums!!!!!!!!.

So another 30 mile week as I continue to map out a strategy that I hope will see me in comparative shape for the 5,000m/10,000m double in Ohio in 7 weeks time,another tweak of things this week should see me upping my mileage to 35 miles w/ a repeat thrown in for good measure,let's see if an increase in Vitamin C will help me get back to the level of running I expect of myself

No comments: