Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Return To The Golden Years?

While I make no bones about worshiping at the house of the Irish middle distance running,Ronnie Delaney,Marcus O Sullivan and Eamonn Coghlan it would've been nigh on impossible to grow up in London in the late 70s early to mid 80s as a middle distance runner and not look up to The Four Horsemen Seb Coe,Steve Ovett,Steve Cram and Peter Elliott.
Given my on going issue w/ getting a doctors appointment/prescription for a blood test{more on that to come}I was reminded of Seb Coe in 83.
Leading up to the first ever World Championships in Helsinki the Olympic 1,500m champion began to lose races to guys he had no right losing to,he also began to struggle in training,here was a runner near the top of his game who was diagnosed w/ Glandular Fever....and that's what scares me right now that until I get my blood checked who knows what may or may not be going on w/ me.

To that end I used what little influence I have at the hospital to try and circumnavigate the whole doctors appointment issue,it was suggested I just get a referral from my doctors office to set up the blood work,I thought/hoped I could just get a prescription from a doctor to set that up......and then ran into a bunch of health care red tape,basically because of my health coverage I need a particular type of referral/prescription....which I don't have,at this point I may need to get my doctor to fill out my script go all the way to Jefferson to pick it up....to then take it back to my hospital to allow them to do the blood work,that may or may not reveal what's going on w/ me,on that score let's see what tomorrow brings.

At least my run was straight forward enough,despite the 95 degree heat I clocked a 29.44,out in 14.59,back in 14.45,another sub 30 and another day w/ a bit of zip in my legs.
I'm on par for a 30 mile week,in 07 and 08 my golden years when my prs at 800m and 1,500m were 1.59.1/4.10.7. I was only clocking 30 mile training weeks,granted my 3,000m and 5,000m times were nothing to write home about but at this point in time w/ 8 weeks till Nationals I'll settle for the 800m and 1,500m....a lot of Coe,Ovett,Cram and Elliott races on You Tube coming up!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mybe your just getting too old did you ever think that mite be the reason you are getting slower in your old age.

Anonymous said...

But after all you think your a god! that couldn't be the reason could it? lets face it you are old you are 46 years old,something has to give your just getting old there is nothing wrong with your blood,your just getting old,face it dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I was being nice, I made you a year yonger then you really are,You really are getting old dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

mybe you should think about getting your self a jazzie chair so you can make it to the finish line by midnite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh did I hurt your feelings,so sorry,but then again I didn't think you had any,ater all you are a god right?

Anonymous said...

That is all right you got the point didn't you? you are getting old just face it,my spelling has nothing to do with the fact that you are getting to old for running !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it? it must be something wrong with your blood wright?

Anonymous said...

Well got to go, Have a nice day!!!

kevin f forde said...

run along,I'm sure school must almost be in session....maybe you could work on your spelling!!!