Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Seeing A Man About A Dog

I remember when I was younger how adults would use covert expressions when they didn't want me to know what they meant,"it fell off the back of a lorry"implied it was stolen,"in the family way/a bun in the oven"an unplanned pregnancy and the time honoured"seeing a man about a dog"which could've meant absolutely any bloody thing but was the term used when you didn't want people knowing what exactly you were doing.
I took today off work,my boss granted me a sick day after the shenanigans of Friday and Monday and actually suggested taking two days off but I felt a day was more than enough.
Should anyone ask me tomorrow where I was today I shall happily inform them I was"seeing a man about a dog" and leave it at that.

Still no sign of my bloody debit card,week to ten days my arse! I went to my lending establishment today to get enough money out to pay my rent and go food shopping, a happy landlord and a happy kitty kat plus no left overs for a couple of days for yours truly,food,Gatorade,Vitamin C tablets and another gallon of Tampico a delightful orange/mango concoction I've been guzzling the last two weeks which seems to be doing the trick I must say.

Out for my 6 miler just after 2pm,inspite of feeling sluggish in the opening few strides I went through 2 miles in 14.19,very close to Mondays split.
22.00 at the turnaround,I could attribute my 10 second deficit to having to swing wide of a mechanical digger along the sidewalk of Cobbs Creek Parkway by Carpenter St.
Again I felt strong on the inbound 3 miles,if I was going out hard and fading away in the second half of the run I'd be worried but yet again I notched a negative split 22.00/21.45 for 43.45.7. only 4 seconds slower than Monday and another day of being closer to 7 min mile pace w/ something close to knee lift and leg turnover at the finish of the run.
Clearly yesterdays easy untimed 4 miler was the right thing,more of the same is on tap tomorrow w/ a rest day on the schedule for Friday b4 a return to the track on Saturday for mile repeats.
Three weeks from today I'll touchdown in Sacramento,seven weeks from today ditto for Berea so far this week I feel a tad more optimistic about Worlds and Nationals,long may this continue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very glad to hear that you're on the road to recovery. Sometimes these setbacks just result from staleness and we bounce back. I'm pretty sure Dave Wottle missed more than a week of training right before he won the Olympic 800 with some kind of virus. The rest period did him good, obviously.

kevin f forde said...

Thanks.
While I still have a ways to go to be back where I'd like to be Mon and Wed were steps in the right direction so we'll see what the coming weeks bring