Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Tall Glass Of Water

My trilogy of track and field cuties concludes w/ my favourite leggy Croatian high jumper Blanka Vlasic.
Named after the city of Casablanca where her father the former Yugoslavia decathlete won the 83 Mediterranean Games prior to her birth(adopts Johnny Carson voice"I did not know that")Blanka has been a favourite of mine since she first arrived on the high jump scene back in 00 at the Sydney Olympics and looks to win her third World Championship gold after wins in Osaka in 07 and Berlin in 09.

Great day for the Irish at Worlds today,Corkman Ciaran O Lionaird became the first Irishman to reach a 1,500m final at Worlds since 1995(fair play) Deirdre Ryan reached the women's High Jump final and Alister Cragg reached the 5,000m final(good man yer self!)


In order for me to have my cake and eat it I stayed closer to home to conduct hill repeats,while I have no objection to schlepping over to Belmont Plateau for hill repeats when time is an issue,ie getting home gone 7pm and then trying to cop 5 hours of coverage of Worlds I opted to stay closer to home but I did so w/out having to negate hill repeats,revisiting a workout I last conducted on Feb 16th I utilized the hill opposite Catherine St along CCP and went w/ 9 repeats from top to bottom turning and jogging back down the hill to begin the next one and so on and so forth.



My splits were:30.49-32.29-32.72-33.40-33.50-32.95-32.16-32.85-33.71.very consistent if I say so myself,it'd be worth keeping that option in mind post fall season races if I'm looking for something w/ leg turnover and knee lift during the week,but I would like to try and return to Belmont next week and the week after to have another crack at the 6xFlagpole repeats from a fortnite ago.











No comments: