Sunday, September 11, 2011

9 11

"This morning early I walked on while my darling was in a dream
The last sweet days of summer bloomed and dressed the trees in green
Then soaring high in the gleaming sky from far across the bay
Came a fearsome roar from a distant shore
At the dawning of the day"

The Dawning Of The Day-Mary Fahl

I still remember that horrific day from 10 years ago,I went back to my diary to recall some of the facts,I was still working in the storeroom at the hospital and happened to be up on the floors,someone said a plane had hit one of the towers of the World Trade Center and I was thinking a small plane,when I walked into the tv room outside of the ICU on Tower 4 I saw the first tower w/ the plane as the second plane was heading towards the second tower.......the rest as they say is history.
I remember going out to run that evening it just seemed the only thing to do after watching the horror unfold on CNN for a couple of hours and I recall how quiet it was on the roads that evening and the fact there were no planes in the sky.
The final quote in my diary that day read"There's so much more I could've said about the events of today but a million words could not capture the horror of what I saw,GOD BLESS AMERICA.
There isn't a day goes by I don't say a prayer for the victims of 9 11 and for the families of the victims and also for the victims and families of the London bombings 6 months later.
I tried to avoid the coverage on tv today,I just felt to revisit that horror and heartache again was not the way I wanted to recall the 10th anniversary of my generations Pearl Harbor and like I did on that fateful day 10 years ago I went out and ran this time just 12 miles to round out my 4th week of 50 mile weeks.
One thought that struck me as I made my way back over South Street Bridge today was it's a little over 10 years since I got back into running, in the summer of 01 after a four and a half year hiatus I began to train on a regular basis I think it was 3 times a week at first b4 moving up to 4 times a week the following year which has now become 6 days a week.
Back then I was focusing on the roads in fact 9 11 came 5 days b4 the Philadelphia Distance Run or Rock & Roll Half Marathon as it's known these days how times have changed,next Sunday sees the 2011 PDR/R&R 1/2 Marathon but it's a race I haven't ran since 06 when I committed to track,in 06 I ran my first 5th Avenue Mile and in 13 days time I'll run my 6th"Fall Classic"like I said times have changed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i was wondering if you'd be running 5th Ave again this year!! :-) i'll most likely be out watching again-curious what it's gonna be like this year given that it's a local club points race (i still dont understand why that was done...)

i'll be in your neck of the woods on Sunday for some RNR-hope Philly is good to me again! :-)

kevin f forde said...

Hey stranger,long time no hear,for a while I wasn't sure if you were running as whenever I checked your blog there wasn't much going on,but good to see you're doing R&R this weekend,wish you all the best w/ that.
Yes I'll be running 5th Avenue Mile even though it's not my target race this fall,that'll be the Bridge Run 10k on Nov 6th