Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Does That Make Me The 3,000m Mac Daddy????

Well I'm delighted to report NO travel worries to and from the Big Apple this time out!!!!
For once a 2 hour bus ride from Philly to Manhattan took two hours and I arrived at 34th St & 8th Avenue at 5pm w/ 3.5 hours to spare b4 my 3,000m race at The Armory in the USATF NY{MAC} C'ships.
Grabbed a venti Green Tea from Starbucks b4 jumping the uptown A express upto 168th St,things were a lot more sedate and a lot less frantic than my lest visit here that's for sure!!!

I'd known from the on line status of entries that turn out for tonite was going to be sparse,it's a shame whatever name the NY C'ships go by they deserve a better turn out,maybe holding them on a Monday nite wasn't helping,I've ran them on a Friday 06,Sunday 09, and Saturday 10 but knowing how busy The Armory is maybe this was the only available option.
I recognized a number of familiar faces on hand from my frequent trips to NYC to race and settled in to watch the mile.
The meet seemed to be running on schedule which was another concern,having gotten here on time there was the issue of being back at the Bolt Bus by 10.30pm to catch the last bus home,I haven't forgotten the eventful nite in 09 when I missed the last connecting train out of Penn Station and spent the night at Trenton in a waiting room on the platform.......I could do w/out revisiting that thank you very much!!!.

I began my warm up up on the top floor as Matt Chaston finished the 5,000m in a solo effort as only three runners competed.....it was a precursor for the 3,000m.
W/ only three of us to run and my hopes of a testing 3,000m b4 Indoor Nationals up in smoke I opted to take it out hard and run as fast as I could,you can only race who shows up and there seemed little or no point playing "possum" just have at it and see what time I could conjure up.

Somebody was kind enough to get my splits although they missed the first two,I recall seeing 34 seconds for the opening lap and 1.10 at 400m which means my splits read as:
34-36-36.8-37.9-38.6-39.0-38.7-39.7-39.7-40.4-40.7-40.1-40.0-39.6-36.1.
9.38.01 for my official winning time,I came through the mile in 5.01.
Considering I was running all by my lonesome I thought I did reasonably well they were consistent throughout and I lowered each lap split over the final four laps which is pleasing.

Would I have preferred a sterner test on my final race b4 Indoor Nationals?.....absolutely but in keeping w/ my indoor season so far tonites events shouldn't come as a major surprise.
Winning is always nice I make no bones about that and while I'm fully aware that in three weeks time I'll need to run at least 30 seconds faster than this I take great satisfaction that this 3,000m was a full 10 seconds faster than my last 3,000m race on August 7th at the Track Pentathlon so it confirms I'm no longer struggling w/ the anemia issue.

Another win,another medal and MAC title to add to my resume.....not a bad nights work!

No comments: