Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Read It In Books

"Travelling w/ no destination no place to go nameless towns w/ faceless people no place I know
Time to close my mind and drift off to other scenes lose myself in glossy pages dull magazines
Moments pass by oh so slowly makes me lonely too twisting street lights in the darkness makes me lonely too
No the damned don't cry"

The Damned Don't Cry-Visage

If you told me at the start of winter that on Feb 1st it'd be 63 degrees and sunny while I conducted my easy 8 miler in shorts and a t shirt I'd have laughed my arse off.......I may not've been laughing this afternoon......but I sure was smiling!!!!

Next Tuesday will mark six months since the Berlin show at World Cafe,I could not have foreseen the ripple effect that nite would have back then but since that fateful nite I have not only discovered there are a few dozen like minded souls who like me love the music of the 80's but I've also become a regular in the both the Land Of The Lost chatroom on the last Friday of each month but also on the dance floor of Sex Dwarf the 80's dance party at Club Fluid on the first Friday of each month.

As well as continuing to upgrade my music collection of classic 80's cd's some of which I owned on trusty vinyl back in the day I've also increased my book collection
When my mate Eric suggested reading "I Know This Much" by Gary Kemp it began a chain reaction that has also seen me read the autobiographies of fellow band mates Tony Hadley and Martin Kemp.
A common theme that ran through all three Spandau autobiographies was The Blitz Club in Covent Garden where "the cool kids/New Romantics" hung out to hear Rusty Egan spin if they were lucky enough to get past Steve Strange on the door!!!
I loved Visage,owned their first two albums and numerous 12'' singles,I never got to either Billy's where Steve and Rusty hosted "Bowie Nite" or Blitz but I did go to the Camden Palace a few times and did meet Steve Strange once.....although I doubt that made into his autobiography "Blitzed"!!!!

I'm currently reading "If I Was" the autobiography of Midge Ure,Midge was on the first two Visage albums b4 Ultravox really kicked into overdrive,it's been interesting to read his involvement in Visage and his Blitz Club memories.
Also on tap to read are "Blitzed" by Steve Strange,"Take It Like A Man" by Boy George and "We Can Be Heroes"by Graham Smith which is all about the Blitz Kids
So many books,not enough time..........I also need to read Phil Reiley's running book "Chasing Ghosts" since I told Phil I'd not only read it but review it in my blog.....of course I told him that the morning of the Track Pentathlon........12 hours b4 I went to see Berlin that nite.........................

No comments: