Friday, June 26, 2015

NO!!!! I Said I Was In A Rush.......

In an ideal world I'd have had Thursday and Friday off either side of the Rush show at Wells Fargo Ctr.........however since things got fubar over the weekend and I lost Monday and Tuesday to food shopping and Laundry I guess that plan got shot to shit,more's the pity but frankly a 8 mile tempo run b4 a Rush show just helps get the blood flowing......

Knowing that "time was off the essence" it didn't hurt last nite was a tempo run,the sooner I got done the sooner I could be on my way to South Philly for the show so w/ that i laced em up and got out the door b4 4.30pm.
Conditions were grey and overcast and 81 degrees,not the broiling 91 of two weeks ago but also not the comfortable 66 of three weeks ago when I shatterered my seasons best to a  1.05.35.
One warning sign on the outbound leg along Baltimore Ave was the tables set up for the annual "Dollar Stroll" a Baltimore Ave tradition were stores between 45th and 50th St set up stalls on the sidewalk and sell their goods for a dollar,a good marketing ploy,a nice thing for the neighbourhood.....but a bit of a pain in the arse for me as a runner as the usually spacious sidewalks would now be coverer by the "heaving masses".....hey ho!

From the get go it was clear I was after a brisk time as my outbound splits reflected 7.33 15.54 26.54 and 33.00 at the turnaround,was 1.06 doable?
My inbound splits indicated 1.08 was more likely.....still not too shabby as I closed in on 39th St and the 7 mile mark.......
Crossing 38th St as I had the light in my favour I was cognicent of some "bike activity" ahead of me,one lazy pratt who decided she didn't want to stay on the road and ride around to Baltimore Ave and use the path as a short cut......."Monkey See,Monkey Do" now "Noddy" decides he wants to do likewise and slams on his brakes which forces his back wheel out right infront of me......
Blessed w/ catlike reflexes I see this in the blink of an eye and cut my stride to take me infront of his bike.........
At this point w/out so much as even looking "Noddy"  now turns his front wheel and handle bar to his left.....right into yours trulys path and having picked up my pace to beat the light I was running at a decent clip......

I now have a six inch long bruise from just below my wrist to just below my elbow thanks to "Noddy" who was told in NO  uncertain terms "you fuckin' arsehole!!!!" as I continued my way over to Baltimore Ave and 39th St,1.00 and change on the watch.........
Seconds later "Noddy" rides by me on the road.......I was beggin' him to say something as he rode by cos believe me a size 10.5 footprint on his arse seemed like a fair trade off for the handlebar bruise on my right forearm.......he wisely kept his mouth shut!!!!!
By the time I passed the Green Line Cafe at 43rd St I got off the sidewalk and hit the bike lane of Baltimore Ave to give myself a clear run,no thanks to "Noddy" there'd been enough action,excitement and adventure for one run thank you very much.......
Home in 1.08.42 a 29 second improvement on last week and a 33.00/35.42 split.

The one night I could've used a nite in w/ my feet up and an ice pack on my forearm was the one night I had to be in and out of the shower toute sweet and on my way to Wells Fargo,hey ho,the brusing will go down,it could've been far worse both for me and "Noddy" and frankly I wasn't missing Rush's 40th anniversary tour while being charged w/ trying to stick "Noddy's" handle bars up his stupid arse...........

No comments: