Saturday, June 28, 2008

That,s Just Sick

I don,t know what else to say about this mornings 4x1 mile repeats other than @#$%! ada!!!!!!!
I was up by 8.30am threw my morning java into my to go mug and headed upto 52nd St to cop the 52 which drops me right off at 54th and Overbrook for St Joes.
Uh oh!!! I could see as I walked to the track that the infield was all ripped up and as I entered through the gates I read the sign that the track was closed till September...................bugger!!!!
All was not lost however Chuck was already there and he suggested Chestnut Hill or Roxboro,I voted for Chestnut Hill,till Neil said Lower Marion which was closer still....Lower Marion it was,w/out either Chuck or Neil today I,d have been up the creek w/out the proverbial paddle,Franklin Field wouldn,t open till 12pm and I wanted to be done by then period,never mind the heat,it was already 82 degrees at 10am and as Neil pointed out it,s always several degrees hotter on the track.
Stretches and mile warm up taken care of it was mile repeat time it was agreed ahead of time I,d run mine at my own pace and Neil and Chuck would work together at their pace,probably a prudent move since I went through the opening 400m in 65 seconds!!!!just as I,m so often prone to do I come out of the gate all guns firing,it,s not a calculated thing on my part,please nobody turns around and says"I think I,ll run the first lap in 65 seconds.
2.17 at 800m a 1.12 lap followed by a 1.14 third lap 3.31 at 1,200m b4 closing in 1.11 to clock a 4.42.73,................that,s just wrong!!!!!
Where did I go from here?I still had three more mile repeats to do it was going to be interesting to see how I,d cope.
69 seconds for the opening 400m,followed by splits of 1.16,1.18,1.15,4.58.18 my first two miles both sub 5.
In time my aim is to go out that hard and be able to hold on,I,m not there yet but I believe in time w/ the right amount of training and discipline I will get there,I wasn,t entertaining notions of all sub 5s today but in the words of The Cure"Maybe Someday"
If I wanted the 4th and final mile to be brisk I was going to have to take a little off the third mile,1.13,1.18,1.20,1.15,5.06.87,it,s hard to be picky about a 5.06 mile being your slowest!!!!
One last mile,I knew just like that second 1,000m the other nite,attack it from the first bend and believe you could go sub 5,1.10 at 400m,encouraging,2.28 at 800m,a 1.18 split close two my second mile splits when I went 4.58.18.
Down the back straight of lap three I told myself to get ready to kick w/ 200m to go on the final lap,3.48 at the bell a 1.20,a final lap of 1.12 or under would get me sub 5,down the back straight I began to lenghten my stride I wasn,t going to have a blistering kick on this last lap but if I could drive and keep driving I,d be close.
Off the final turn and the lenght of the straight away between me and the finish I drove w/ everything I had...............a 1.11 lap,4.59.49,YEAH BABY!!!!.
Last summer post Nationals,pre 5th Ave I remember doing mile repeats w/ Matt at Franklin Field and going 5.07.22,5.06.81,5.09.12,5.02.11 which was bloody impressive,but this this morning was a beast of a different colour.
When GP and I spoke post workout he was full of praise for me,I thought he might,ve questioned the "wisdom"of going out in 4.42.73 for the opener but he said it matches the level of my intentions for where I want to go over the next few years.
Post workout I conducted my mile cool down,30 miles for the week thanks to 6 miles today,a rest day tomorrow and a well earnt one I feel this week,Tuesdays 6x600m 6/6 sub 1.45s,Thursdays 2x1,000m 2.53.31-2.50.96 and todays mile repeats,3/4 at sub 5.
My workouts for the week are done,my blog is done,my food shopping is done,all that remains is to cook a !@#* off bowl of Chicken and Rice{I,m a Irishman remember,we don,t do small measures it,s not in our dna!!!!} kick back feet up and cop the Olympic Trials,Maria Mckee once sang"Life Is Sweet"this week it has been,but Monday kicks off a whole new one and I need to be sure I,m ready to meet it head on.

No comments: