Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold

B4 I get into the meat{no pun intended}and potatoes of my workout I have to give a big shout out to Turkey for gaining sweet revenge on Switzerland in this afternoons European C,ship soccer.
For the past six years now since World Cup 02 one of my very best friends has been Volkan a delivery driver at my job,I discoved in 02 he was Turkish after one of Turkeys World Cup games and since then we,ve been the very best of friends,it,s a way of life for us to discuss soccer or football to us europeans each and every morning,I,ve learnt more about Turkish soccer in the past six years than I could,ve ever imagined,Galatasaray have become one of my adopted club sides and hell yeah I,m rooting for Turkey at this years Euro C,ships.
Two years ago in a World Cup playoff game Switzerland beat Turkey in a contentious affair, Switzerland went to the finals,Turkey stayed home,players from both countries were fined and suspended for what can best be discribed as "heated" exchanges after the final whistle,since Switzerland were a host nation for this years Euro finals there was no chance of Turkey meeting the Swiss unless they faced off in the Euros.....cue the draw for the group stage made back December......Switzerland and Turkey,I think it,s fair to say todays date has been circled on many a Turkish callender and or day planner!!!!
Turkey won 2.1 thanks to an injury time winner,revenge is sweet not only beating the Swiss but also beating them in Switzerland and knocking them out of the tournament,oh happy day indeed.
As for my workout, a tough one after four days w/out speed work I was hoping to snap back w/ my 6x600m but I think the heat from the past 5 days took it,s toll,my splits were:68/34-1.42.59,69/35-1.44.03,1.10/33-1.43.31,1.14/31-1.47.42,1.15/34-1.49.49,1.17/34-1.51.42.
Going into my 4th repeat I just felt dead from the knees down going into that first turn,had I,ve been shooting for 1.50s it wouldn,t have been a bad workout but in lite of recent splits I went for 1.45s and as you can see the wheels came off from#4 onwards.
No sense beating myself up over it,the thing about troughs is they make you appreciate the peaks when you hit them and hopefully come Monday when I,m next back doing a workout I,ll be able to apply what I learnt today into doing better.................yes the glass is always half full.

No comments: