Wednesday, June 4, 2008

In My Element In The Elements

I believe the song goes"Mad Dogs And Englishmen Go Out In The Midday Sun"I guess today was a case of"Mad Dogs And Irish Half Milers/Milers Go Out In The Evening Rain"!!!!
For me the question of the day wasn,t will I get my workout in but will I get my workout in b4 the rain,the answer was yes....and no!!!
By the time I arrived at Franklin Field just after 5pm and began to stretch the rain began to fall,my feeling was I was here now and since I was already getting wet there seemed little or no point turning around and heading home w/out doing my workout,as I,ve said b4 and will continue to state, the difference between standing on the podium at Nationals and standing next to it is working out on an evening like this,nobodys gonna hand me a medal muchless a National Champion title in Spokane I,m gonna have to work for it and earn it and evenings like this go a long way to earning it in my book.
Already soaked after my stretches it was time for my mile warm up and mile of strides,it was kind of neat to feel like I was hydroplaning across the track,warm up compleat it was time to ditch my sleeveless running shirt and glasses{I could hardly see out of them}and tighten my baseball cap and go for it.
67 seconds for my opening 400m,I usually look to clock 1.10 so I was pleased w/ that,2.19 at 800m a 1.12 400m b4 closing in 33 seconds for the final 200m and clocking 2.52.02,last week I opened in 2.52.56 off of splits of 69,1.13,30.....not in the pouring rain I hasten to add!!!
Given I have an 800m race on Friday I could,ve opted to ease up on my second 1000m repeat but frankly I was having fun out here in the rain w/ the track all to myself,the faster I ran my repeat the sooner I could get done and get home and dry off..........full steam ahead!!!!
68 seconds for my opening 400m,that,s pretty brisk for a second opening 400m rain or no rain,I followed up w/ a 1.12 400m to clock 2.20 at 800m and 34 seconds to close on the final 200m,2.54.09 my fastest set of 1,000s to date this season.
After my mile cool down it was a joyful walk home dispite being soaked to the skin,running this fast tends to take ones mind off of such things,and having opened w/ a play on words from a song title I,ll close likewise,John Lennon once said"Happiness Is A Warm Gun" after this evening"Happiness Is A Warm Shower And A Warm Bowl Of Soup"

No comments: