Friday, June 20, 2008

Turkish Delight

It was a toss up between Selling The Drama or Turkish Delight for todays title,either would,ve worked,given my love of all things plan b it,s no surprize Turkish Delight won out in the end.
What can I say about todays game?having come from behind vs Switzerland and then even more dramatically vs Czech Rep it seemed the gig was up today,0.0 after 90 mins and so to extra time in which Turkey looked the better side in the 118 minute of the 120 to be played, back up keeper Rustu made a howler of an error to gift Croatia a goal that looked to have sealed their fate................to quote Liz Taylor in an old White Diamonds advert"not so fast von ryan"w/ 120 mins on the clock and w/ extra time going into added time Turkey won a free kick inside it,s own half,Rustu the goat 90 seconds earlier punted the ball up field into the Croatian peanaly area and up popped Senturk the "lifeguard" as he,s known for his ability to come off the bench and save Turkey.....top left hand corner..................1.1..............''GOODNITE VIENNA!!!
The Turks held their nerve in the penalty shoot out converting all three as Croatia missed two of their first three spot kicks and when Rustu saved the 4th it was all over Turkey advance into Wednesdays semi final vs favourites Germany,most have the Germans into the final already,Turkey weren,t expected to beat Czech Rep or Croatia but here they are into the semis,I wouldn,t write them off just yet,nor would I write them off if they go a goal down to Germany in the semis............even if Germany scored in the 90th minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suitable fired up from that I headed to Franklin Field for my 2x1,000m repeats,conditions were near ideal warm and sunny,not too hot next to no wind and almost the entire track to myself.
After my stretches and extended warm up{losing out on my mile repeats Wednesday put me a mile behind schedule however I figured an extra lap on my warm up and extra lap on my cool down plus Sundays race would along w/ an easy 3 miler tomorrow plus a mile warm up and mile cool down Sunday round me out to my weekly 30 miles}it was have at it time,two weeks ago in the pouring rain I went 2.52.02-2.54.09 what could I do tonite?
Opening w/ a 68 second first 400m I was confident of a fast split,2.19 at 800m a 1.11 lap I powered to a 31 second closing 200m,2.50.75 my fastest ever 1,000m repeat.
It would,ve been easy to have eased up given I have a race Sunday morning but I opted to give it my all again on repeat #2,opening w/ a 1.11 400m,I then believe it or not clocked another 1.11 lap,2.22 at 800m b4 closing in 32 seconds for a 2.54.99 split,my best ever set of 1,000s.
Hopefully Sunday there,ll still be fuel in the tank to pop out a fast 800m,w/ seven weeks to go still till Nationals I believe I can still get faster.
Chances are tomorrow there won,t be time to blog an entry b4 heading upto New York so it,ll be Sunday evening b4 I sit here again and hopefully regale you all w/ tales of my weekend in NYC,The Cure and the MAC C,ships.

No comments: