Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dedication,Perspiration,Inspiration

I,ve said more than once that the most important run for me is the recovery run,after another brisk track workout yesterday it was of the utmost importance to get out there today and take care of business w/ an easy five miler so that come tomorrow I can hit the track for hopefully another fast track workout,any thoughts of feeling tired will have to be put on hold till afterwards.
Another hot day in the low 80s,even running at recovery pace my bandana was soaked by the time I compleated my 6 large loops of Clark Park.
It,s days like today I,m greatful for spending a little extra money on sleeveless dri fit shirts,I can recall not so long ago having sweat soaked sleeveless cotton shirts just hanging off of me after a workout,god bless dri fit.
My music of choice was live Clash,a move inspired by the arrival of Steve Ovett,s biography in the mail today.
I,ve always stated my unweavering support of Eamon Coghlan,he simply was/is and always will be my main inspiration in running but growing up in England when I did and being a 800m/1,500m/miler it was hard not to be inspired by the big four,Seb Coe,Steve Cram,Peter Elliott and Steve Ovett,each brought something to the table in their events,what I always liked about Ovett was his blue collar working class ethics on and off the track,I may,ve cursed him when he beat Eamon in the 1978 European C,ships 1,500m final in Prague but you had to admire his guts in Los Angeles in the 84 Olympics where dispite battling bronchitis he compeated,hurling himself across the finish line in the 800m semis to reach the final only to finish last.Dispite being stretchered away from the Coliseum that evening he returned to battle through two rounds of the 1,500m only to drop out w/ 350m to go in the final suffering from chest pains,seven races in nines days w/ bronchitis Ovett was no quitter,it was that hard nosed tough as nails attitude that drew him to me and why providing I time it right his biography will be my reading material come early August in Spokane.

No comments: