Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Back To The Drawing Board

It's never easy coming to the blog after a below par performance...and it gets no easier w/ age let me tell you!!!
If there's one positive I can take from Monday's 800m race at Swarthmore it is that I went in not knowing where I was at w/ the 800m,I hadn't ran a meaningful 800m outdoors since 2010 Nationals in Sacramento{I ran 2 800s in the 10 and 11 Track Pentathlon but there were multi events so I don't count them}and my last 2 indoor 800s were possibly while my anemia was beginning to wreak havoc on me last year so I couldn't really count my 2.06 and 2.10{that said my 2.06 in Feburary got me a world ranking albeit in the lower portion of the rankings but a world ranking none the less!!!}either.

Now having said all that.....I don't feel 2.11.7 is an acurate picture of where I'm at right now,my training leads me to believe otherwise,the problem now is that while looking for answers from Mondays race I now find myself w/ more questions!!!!
The worst thing I can do now is panic{Nationals are still 11 weeks off}and begin to second guess myself,I'm "all in" as far as 800m and 1,500m racing is concerned and refuse to suffer a knee jerk reaction to the first bad race at 800m.

The bigger picture is what do I do for my next race? the clock is ticking on the Nationals countdown,had I ran what I thought I could run on Monday{2.05/2.06}I would've jumped in the 800m at Henderson in West Chester on June 9th w/ the high schoolers and looked to shave another second off that time....that now seems unwise and unlikely,chances are I'll run closer to home at Widener in the Mid Atlantic C'ships also on June 9th and maybe double the 1,500m is scheduled to go off at 10am w/ the 800m at 1.30pm,ample recovery time,I'd like to think even off the back of the 1,500m I can run a faster 800m than I just did on Monday.
As I'm reading the first of two David Miller Seb Coe biographies"Born To Run" I'm painfully aware of the pratfalls along the way to a major championship,that said just because I want to run the 800m and 1,500m like Seb it doesn't mean I want to go through what he went through between 82-84 leading upto LA and the 84 Olympics!!!

No comments: