Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Blistering



It's often said there's a price to be paid for everything in life,I guess sometimes the question is how high a price is one willing to pay?
I knew when I switched to Saucony Hatrori flats I would be sacrificing padding on my feet,but a small price to pay for twice weekly repeats when they only weigh 4.4OZ,however on days like yesteday when it was close to 90 degrees at 3.35pm when I stepped on the track to conduct 5x3x300m w/ 800m recoveries inbetween sets that's 25 laps......
By the end of the third set I began to feel I was walking on hot coals and while I was keeping the repeats to a respectable sub 55 w/ one notable exception 300 #7 I knew upon compleation of my 15th and final 300m I would be switching to my regular running shoes for my 800m recovery jog and 3 lap cool down.

Upon arrival back home the removal of my right shoe confimed my fear,the skin on the bottom of my middle toe on my right foot had bubbled up and all but pealed its self off my toe,not a pretty picture but also not the worst injury I've had in a now 36 year career.
I don't forsee it being an issue on my 3 mile recovery run later today or tomorrows 8 mile tempo run and by the time I next slip on my Saucony Hattori flats to do battle on the track on Saturday I should be ok to conduct 6x600m repeats,as I said to one of my running buddies in an email earlier"no pain,no gain,no guts,no glory"

In closing I had to share from the time honoured British Press.....YES the same people who brought us the front page story"Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster".....
According to some, Heptathlon gold hopeful Jessica Ennis is carrying extra weight....granted the above picture is from Osaka a few years ago but my question is.......WHERE??????

No comments: