Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Dangerous Precedent

Well you can add this one to the old running resume,a 6.5 mile run in 13 degree temps!
I knew if I could survive the brutal cold at work{think meat locker!!!!}and didn't think too long about it and got changed and out the door as soon as I got home I was half way there.
Thermal Socks,check Regular Socks,check Running Tights,check Warm Up Bottoms,check Running Shirt,check Half Zip Fleece,check Heavy Duty Hoodie,check Thermal Running Gloves,check Ski Hat Check,signed waiver that I did this of sound mind and sound body......questionable......
Out the door by 4.20pm roughly when I left yesterday which should mean home again by 5.30pm ish providing it didn't go tits up on me.

First "Uh Oh" moment,crossing the South St Bridge I looked down at the Schuylkill River.....it was frozen!!!
In my 26 years here in Philly I think I've only seen the Schuylkill freeze once or twice b4 I recall one particular Sunday run along Kelly Dr way back when and seeing some brave soul on ice skates out on the river by the Girade Ave bridge it was that frozen!!!
Including myself I counted 10 other runners out and back along the Schuylkill Banks from the footbridge upto the end of Boathouse Row most of whom seemed releaved to see other like minded individuals also out running,they say it's misery that loves company but I tend to think it's neurosis that loves company if your a runner!!!
The coldest section of my run was the added half mile from Lloyd Hall to the end of Boathouse Row,the wind whipped up of the Schuylkill something wicked,I was happy to leave that behind me as I returned back down the Schuylkill Banks after passing Lloyd Hall.

"Uh Oh" moment #2,5pm and trusty Peco Tower kicked in w/ time and temprature,now yesterday was a "balmy" 37 degrees today.......fanfare please.....13 degrees!!!! fuckin ada!!!!!!
Having already notched 8 runs under my belt from Dec 28th thro yesterday I was confident of seeing out the matter in hand this evening period but in these temps a bonk/walk home was NOT an option trust me!
Home sweet home in one piece in give or take the same time as yesterday,not that time was ever an issue but geting through the run  safely was the primary objective and also hoping there's no long term/short term effect from running in such harsh conditions.
A final thought,having braved the harshest of eliments in 13 degrees I have NO excuses to run  in anything above that from here on in this winter....it remains to be seen if we get anything colder than yesterday,I guess we'll cross that {frozen} bridge if and when the time comes!!!!

No comments: