Monday, January 13, 2014

Back In The Saddle Again

Seldom one to rest on my laurels it was back into the cut and thrust of things over the weekend.
As is my won't I took Friday off,if you're familiar w/ Eric Liddle's story in "Chariots Of Fire" you'll know he refused to run on Sundays as he prefered to observe the sabbath.....I guess as a born again black hearted pagan Fridays are my sabbath!!!!

I opted to do my easy 6 miler on Saturday and then my return to intervals after a 10 week hiatus on Sunday due to the differing weather conditions.
While Saturday was a "balmy" mid 60s it rained...alot throughout the day so much so that the prospect of intervals seemed better suited to a slightly less warm 40's /low 50's on Sunday so I dug out my old Post Office waterproof jacket and one of my Hartshorne Memorial Masters Mile baseball caps to help keep the rain off of me.
In a week tht saw the unprecedented Schyulkill River freeze I had the rare sight of fog coming off the ice along the Schuylkill as I made my way down to Lloyd Hall for the first three miles of my out and back  six mile run,I ended up ditching my gloves after 2 miles and questioned the need for my half zip fleece beneath my waterproof{better safe than sorry I guess!!!} I also ditched my glasses b4 the turnaround as visability due to the rain was becoming an issue.
Other than that it was pretty run of the mill stuff a run to get the gunk out of my legs from Thursdays trip around the boards in The Armory and setting myself for a second 5 day 30 mile week providing I took care of business on the track on Sunday.....

Arrived at the trusty Temple track at 10.45am yesterday morning and more or less had it to myself,the few other runners opted for lane 2 which allowed yours truly lane 1 for my 6 lap warm up/cool down and 4x300x200x300 repeats.
My last repeats were some lack luster 4x1mile repeats on November 2nd ten weeks ago but rather than dwell on past indescretions I felt a clean slate and a new start was the way to go mving forwards.
I set myself a modest target,keep the 300s at 55 seconds and under and keep the 200s at 35 seconds and under,went:
52.7-33.8-54.8
53.9-36.1-55.0
55.4-35.0-55.3
55.2-36.7-53.9
All things considered not a bad start,like Thursdays race there's ample room for improvement but I feel if I can get myself to the track on the weekend to improve on my 300x200x300s and squeeze in a mid week 6x600 repeat each week I don't have a race I can lower my splits and get faster.

Another week in the books another 7/10 week,as my old grade school reports and high school reports used to read"Kevin can do much better once he applies himself"......

No comments: