Tuesday, January 28, 2014

You've Got Another Thing Coming


W/ the ink still wet no doubt on the latest version of my running obituary I was out the door at 12.15pm yesterday afternoon to log the first of three 8 milers this week on route to a 40 mile week and hopefully better results over the mile in my upcoming races.
Ever the track historian I couldn't help think back to Moscow 80 where Eamonn Coghlan finished 4th at his second Olympics and Seb Coe ran one of the worst races of his career in the 800m final to finish 2nd b4 rebounding six days later to win gold in the 1,500m final.

Unlike Lord Coe I don't have 6 days to rebound,I have 6 weeks which is probably just as well as I'm going to need each and everyone of those thirty runs/races/intervals to get me in podium shape for Boston and Indoor Nationals.
Following Saturdays race and my "walk of shame" from Barton Hall back to the hotel I took a long soak in tub and rewrote my training schedule thinking it was just longer repeats that were needed,adding the time honoured 4x1 mile and 5x1,000m repeats to my 6x600m and 4x300x200x300m repeats.....however after returning home on Sunday curiosity got the better of me and I pulled out my 2010 running log......

The paralles from 2010 to now are quite frightning almost "Twilight Zoneish" coming off an achilles injury,not doing the work that I should have early on in the Indoor season,getting humbled in a mile race and then getting my act together,upping my milage to 40mpw and winning a silver and two bronze medals at Indoor Nationals....in Boston.......you can't make this stuff up I'm telling you!
Having rewritten my training schedule,I then re rewrote it still looking to up my repeats to the longer sessions  BUT making sure I now have 40 mile weeks on the schedule,it explains why I fell apart over the second half of Saturdays race.

Having identified the problem i hope the next six weeks will allow me to right the ship so that upon my arrival in Boston in March I am in a position to challenge for the podium......you know how I love to prove my critics wrong and play the role of Lazarus......to borrow Delvin Dinkins blog title  I need to "Up My Game" and it's VERY much game on!!!

No comments: