Monday, January 6, 2014

Through The Land Of The Ice & Snow....

Back to back 6 milers over the weekend to complete a 5 day/30 mile week,hopefully the first of several between now and mid March and Indoor Nationals,after Indoors I'm sure I'll reup my weekly milage to 40 maybe 50 mpw but for now 30 feels like it'll do the trick.
Saturday and Sunday could not have been more different in terms of conditions,very much "contrast and compare"
Saturday I made a point of waiting till 2.30pm in the afternoon to take advantage of hopefully warmer conditions,that said it didn't feel a lot different from the temps at 10.30am when I walked upto 40th St on a "provisions/recon" mission....a runner cannot live on Gatorade and Power Bars alone plus I got to check the conditions underfoot.
Some sections of the sidewalk were still icy so I knew where to exercise caution upto 40th St and back,attire for the day was ski hat heavy duty hoodie,gloves waterproof bottoms over my running tights and shades it might've been sub zero but at least the bright sun gave the illusion at least that it was warm.
There were several hardy souls out along the Schuylkill Banks also getting their run in which always makes me feel slightly less neurotic when I'm out there in less than favorable conditions.

Sunday, conditions couldn't have been more different,considerably warmer but grey and overcast w/ the omnipresent threat of rain when I left at 11.45am
Traded in my ski hat and heavy duty hoodie for baseball cap and rain jacket and also went w/ regular glasses as shades would've been a hinderence given the overcast nature of the day.
Also I needed to see what was underfoot,sections of the run were sheets of ice noticably leading upto 42nd on Baltimore Ave and the approach to South St Bridge and going over the bridge,at times I was forced to reduce my speed to a canter but "safety first" was the mantra of the weekend,while getting out on both days to run important staying upright was more important!

It was a good week training wise,granted there's work to be done but having put down a decent foundation I hope to build on that,3 days till the season opener,3 weeks till Hartshorne,9 weeks till Indoor Nationals.

No comments: