Thursday, October 9, 2008

Unconventional....Moi?

Following a purging of my soul yesterday it was back to business today,effectivly doing what I do best,run and running what I consider to be my best repeat, 4x1 mile repeats.
Saturdays performance was always going to be a hard act to follow,much like snowflakes no two repeats are every alike but I was hell bent on putting my best foot forward and going for it.
Conditions were once again close to picture perfect right down to virtually having the track to myself which always aids and abets any repeat workout.
Repeat#1,72,78,77,68-4.55.05,an impressive start if I say so myself,although the 68 second final lap and subsequent 4.55.05,were going to make a compleat carbon copy repeat in desending order a hard act to follow.
Repeat#2,77,78,78,65-4.58.89,my streak of 72 second opening laps had come to an end{like all good thing must}and I wondered if I was guilty of thinking it was all becoming too easy to step out onto the track and crank out a sub 5 min mile,the moment you begin to think that is the moment you have to work for it,ergo the closing lap of 65 seconds.
Repeat#3,77,78,80,65-4.59.55,phew skin of my teeth time!!realized it wasn,t a mental lapse on the previous opening lap and prehaps fatigue was becoming a factor,I,d said to GP over the phone yesterday that mile repeats on a work day evening over mile repeats first thing on a weekend throw up all sorts of different propersitions,it,s been a while since a 80 second lap graced my mile repeats..........it,s also been a while since I closed in 65 seconds on anything other than a closing lap of a closing mile
Repeat#4,76,78,78,64-4.56.49,another 4/4 sub 5 min mile repeat session albeit the hard way but the end result is more often than not the thing we remember rather than how it was gained.
Granted tonite was a tad rollercoasterish for my taste and dare I say it GP,s but the fact my closing laps of 68,65,64,64 were something to behold,I,ll have to see if "Dibble"sees it that way!
The hard part of my training week is done,recovery and easy 5 milers the next to days b4 a travel day to Greensboro and Masters National XC 5K,I ,m fairly sure that the old ipod and discman wil be getting loaded up w/ Motorhead,Mettalica,Maiden and Black Label and I,ll be reading from "The Prose Edda" over the next few days,yes folks I,m preparing to march into battle onto the killing fields of North Carolina.

No comments: