Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Day Late................

B4 the finger pointing begins I didn,t write a blog entry yesterday due to fatigue not because I was disappointed w/ my overall performance,and asides from being a day behind I would also have been able to capitalize on yesterdays date significance.
Sept 30th is my grandfather Francis,s anniversary,I wasn,t even 3 when he died in 1966 but he was the only one of my four grandparents that I ever met so the emotional connection has always been there,the fact I was christened after my father and grandfather means I carry the memories of Kevin and Francis w/ me where ever I go,I,m often asked what the F in my signature stands for,most think it stands for Fiesty but no it,s Francis!!
I hadn,t done a "Death Zone"6x600m in 11 weeks since July 21st so I knew it was going to be a step up tonite especially as the bar has now been raised to 1.42 per repeat,oh well,gotta begin somewhere I guess,the game plan was 400m/200m splits of 68/34 to clock 1.42
After my stretches and warm ups it was show time,last weeks 3/4 would count for nothing tonite and I began well enough w/ a 69/32-1.41.14,a more conservative opener than last week which given the extra 2 600s tonite was prudent.
70/32-1.42.73,for #2,I was guilty of not focusing 100% on that second opening 400m,something I fell foul of last week and it cost me 4 sub 1.42 60os.
On #3 I again went to sleep on the top bend although it was the last time it happened tonite as I clocked splits of 71/32-1.43.25,the perfect 6 was gone but I was ok w/ that,after 11 weeks I couldn,t expect top waltz back in and hit one out of the park.
72/33-1.45.52 for repeat#4 it was begining to become hard work now and I for one welcomed that,in running as is in life anything worth having is something worth fighting for,if I,d come in here tonite and cranked out a 6/6 1.42 6x600m it,d be difficult to come back next Monday and do it again,at least now I,ve got something to strive for next week and the subsequent weeks after.
73/38-1.51.44 it felt as frugly as it sounds my head was rolling from side to side and I failed to power through the finish,for a split second I considered calling it a nite at 5 repeats,but I,m no quitter on the track or in life,it was the second time today I,d faced disappointment and just as I,d dusted myself off earlier in my day and carried on fighting the good fight it,d be no different on the track this evening.
On a final repeat be it 600m,1,000m,400m,mile there,s a feeling of wanting to"leave it all on the track"you got the rest of the evening to suck it up if need be so why not"have at it"?73/33-1.46.27,a modicum of satisfaction to end the session on.
It should be pointed out when I began my 6x600m at 1.50 I didn,t go 6/6 right off the bat,ditto for my 1.45 attempts so to begin my quest for 6/6 at 1.42 at 2/6 is hardly the end of the world,next Monday I,ll hope to go at least 3/6,prehaps 4/6.

No comments: