Saturday, October 11, 2008

Music Soothes The Savage Beast/Road To Valhala

Just a few {hopefully}well chosen words b4 I depart for Greensboro in the next hour and a quarter,since I,m sans laptop till years end no chance to write this on the road which would,ve been very Jack Kerouac of me don,t you think.....
After several weeks where my running and life had been enjoying an almost aerodynamic smooth sailing ride I hit some turbulance this week...........maybe that,s why life and automobiles should come fully loaded w/ airbags and one should always wear ones seat belt!,that said as I,m oft prone to say !@#$ .......sorry,once a Savage Celtic Black Hearted Pagan,always a Savage Celtic Black Hearted Pagan!!!,in running as is in life you must face your adversities head on and deal w/ them,no ducking the issues.
Music plays a major role in my life,I,d put it right next to my running so that,s why last nites Grace Potter & The Nocturnals show was SO right on time,I have to give mad props and much pagan respect to the opening act Cornmeal who were...........frankly freakin awesome!seriously peeps when did you last see a band comprized of a drummer,guitar,banjo,upright bass and fiddle,and boy could that girl play a mean fiddle.....phew,I,ll check Cornmeal out again,prehaps you should too.
As for Grace & The Nocturnals...........there,s a reason why"Somewhere In Time"is one of the few whole cds on my ipod but as great as they sound on cd you have to see/hear them live,their rousing cover of''Paint It Black"to end their set will resonate w/ me foreverI,ve caught them three time in the past eigthteen months and each time I feel I,ve left the show feeling I,ve cheated the venue cos they were way more value for money than I paid for my ticket,again don,t take my word for it check them out,here,s hoping a live cd/dvd is in the works soon.
And so to XC Masters Nationals,yeah it,s a gamble on my part to test the waters at a distance and forum outside of my comfort level,but what,s life w/out taking the odd risk or two?in some respects I feel I,ve nothing to lose,I,m not expected to be right up there at the finish but hell if I aint gonna do my damnedest to make sure I am,yeah I,m willing to put my growing reputation on the line tomorrow,playing safe is not my forte,granted to bet the house would be foolish but since I am playing w/ house money why not have at it and see where the chips may fall??
When I return from Greensboro I will of course write an honest account of the race,clearly I,m not coming out and saying where I think I,ll finish and or what time I,ll run but I will report back on how I did and if I reached my own expectation level or fell short and since like all races I feel I,m marching into battle here,s a little battle anthem to stir the ole Savage Celtic Pagan blood...................
"March or croak,flame and smoke,burn forever in eternal pain,charge and fall,bugal call,bone splinter in the driving rain.
Horses scream,Viking dream,drowned heroes in a lake of blood,armoured fist,severed wrist,broken spears in a sea of mud.
Sword and shield,bone and steel,rictus grin,deaf forever till the battles din"
Motorhead
Deaf Forever

No comments: