Saturday, October 4, 2008

Welcome To A Bollockin' Free Zone

After two less than satisfactory repeat workouts this week I was hell bent on ending the week on a high note,besides not wishing to get another bollockin' from GP I also wanted to prove a point,if only to myself
As a miler my bread and butter repeat is the 4x1 mile repeat,during the course of the year I may switch up certain workouts on the track and on hills but the staple repeat,week in,week out is 4x1 mile,make no mistake about that and I was damned if I was about to knawls up this repeat like I had my 600m and 1,000m earlier in the week,besides unlike them my previous mile repeats were only a few weeks removed,4x1mile on Sept 6th and 3x1mile on Sept 13t.
I love coming out to the main line on Saturday mornings to workout,aside from being closer to my beloved Villanova University I enjoy the fact getting up early to get out here gives me a jump start on my day plus the train ride and subsequent wait for said R5 allows me if need be a chance to catch up on my diary,right now certain entries require more pages so the 20 min journey helps facilitate that.
I arrived at Haverford around 9.35am,by the time I was done stretching and my mile warm up those already on the track were getting done and those still using it were not in lane 1,good omens,the plan of attack an opening lap of 75 seconds to set up the potential for a 4.59 mile,GP and I discussed the strategy last nite,nothing fancy this time out,a straight up attack of sub 5 minute miles w/ hopefully each mile getting faster.
Mile #1 splits of 72,78,79,70-4.59.41,a rightious begining,but Tue and Thur had begun well b4 the proverbial arse fell out of them,I was determined not to allow that to happen this morning,I can hardly tout myself as one of the countries best masters milers if I can,t execute my tried and tested repeat now can I??
Mile#2 72,77,77,70-4.56.71,frightningly metronomic of me....but in a positive way,I don,t know I,ve ever opened miles 1&2 w/ back to back 72 second splits,could I keep it up?
Mile#3 72,77,76,71-4.56.27,marginal but a triumph on two scores,w/ 200m to go I got the balence right,back off too much and risk a slower than 4.56.27 mile,speed up too much and risk depleating my reserves going into mile#4,plus a golf buggy dropping off water on the sideline for the upcoming Haverford soccer game was in lane 1 down the back straight on laps 2 and 3 forcing me out into lane 2.....but my spilts never reflected this.
Mile#4 71,78,77,67-4.53.99 4/4 and each mile faster than the prior one.
79 seconds was my slowest lap the entire session,my math isn,t that good to workout what my average split per lap came out to and dispite my victory I found fault w/ the final mile....leave it to me yeah???
4.53.99 is hardly something to be sniffed at,nor is a 67 second final lap,however prior to 5th Avenue Mile I was closing in 4.50 w/ a 64 second final lap,but I wasn,t running at the pace I was today over the previous 3 and 3/4 miles,in time I,ll crank these splits and lower the final mile and closing 400m split believe me.

No comments: