Tuesday, October 14, 2008

If It,s Tuesday I,m Probably Smiling.............

A nice easy 5 mile run this evening to get me ready for tomorrows Catholic League XC 5K,would I,ve prefered a weeks recovery between Masters Nationals and Catholic League?yes however that,s not an option so I,ll just have to have at manana and see where the chips fall,I have a game plan in mind,as always it,s a case of being able to execute it,since my 16.49.4 has yet to be called a pr/club record I may have to go after that honour at Belmont,which I hasten to add is not a pr course......but neither is Ceaser Rodney in Deleware and that,s where I pr,d in the 1/2 marathon in 06 so let,s not rule it out just yet.
Confidence is a powerful motivator,my confidence has never been this high in my 32 year career and inspiration is a factor too,I site these four examples of where I draw my inspiration from currently.
I received an email from Bob McGinty a soon to be team mate at GPTC,during the indoor season when I was struggling I saw Bob run two great indoor miles at Mid Atlantic C,ships and Indoor Nationals, I didn,t see him again till the summer when I ran my 4.28.9 at PMW,we got chatting post race and Bob mentioned wanting to join us,not long afterwards he broke a bone in his ankle windsurfing{ouch!!}but he sent me an email the other day congratulating me on my 1,500m at Nationals and 5th Avenue Mile,he said he was inspired and in awe of me,that,s a huge compliament from a fellow runner.
Post race Sunday I chatted w/ winner John Hinton,John and I go back a little to 06 when we first faced off in the semis and final of the 800m,we then met up in the 07 Hartshorne Memorial Mile,anyways post race as we chatted we talked about a potential rematch next January and when I told John I was moving upto the 45-49 age group in November he joked he was glad he,d be moving upto 50-54 in a few years given my recent performances,it was said in jest but it,s nice to know a runner of John,s considerable caliber respects my talent.
What impresssed me most about John was his genuine reaction to becoming National Masters XC Champion,here,s a runner who,s won several National C,ship titles,set a world record and here he was genuingly delighted to be crowned this years Masters XC champ,it helps me feel less neurotic when I get so excited about National Championship titles.
Allie Kral,the fiddle player in Cornbread,she won me over Friday nite as Cornbread opened for Grace Potter & The Nocturnals,not only w/ her mastery of the fiddle but her beauty.
Having plundered the internet I found various sites devoted to her and Cornbread,both my pcs have Allie Kral screen savers and she even replied to my email yesterday and said I,d made her day w/ what I,d said to her,I doubt VERY highly the world is ready for a fiddle player and miler to have a whirlwind romance but just exchanging emails w/ her has helped me to continue to sore heights I,ve seldom scaled.
Last but by no means least"My Girl Tuesday",Robinson Crusoe had his Man Friday and I have "My Girl Tuesday",there,s a reason why for the past two months I,ve lived for Tuesdays{sometimes Wednesdays} and while I,ve said more now in this sentence than in the entire prior two months I,m not prepared to say too much more,names are being w/held for anonymity but just know I,ve gained so much milage both literally and figuretivly from my weekly Tuesday conversations w/ "MGT"that it would be remiss of me not to list her not only as an inspiration but as my #1 inspiration.
Here,s hoping I can call on all of my inspirations tomorrow at 5pm when the gun goes off.

No comments: