Friday, October 17, 2008

I,d Rather Switch Than Bitch

A last minute change of plans this evening,I wasn,t 100% sure if Franklin Field would be available for the 6pm-8pm recreational use given the Penn Quakers have a home game tomorrow vs Columbia so rather than wait around till 6pm only to be possibly told"sorry,track,s closed"I elected to loop Clark Park 6 times today and tomorrow morning I,ll hit Haverford bright and early to take care of my 4x1 mile repeats.
Chosing to wait an extra day not only allows me another day to recoup from the two races in four days schedule but also means the whole 3x 1 mile repeats/4x 1 mile repeats issue becomes an non issue,GP never did get back to me on that one and now it,s null and void but it does throw up an interesting situation,when does a coached athlete actually make up his/her own mind re workouts?
No coached athlete should ever reach the starting line of a race and think"how does coach want me to run this?"why should a workout be any different?I need a coach to guide me sometimes when the glearingly obvious isn,t quite so obvious,but I don,t need each and every move to be mapped out for me,sometimes it,s too easy to let our coaches do all the thinking for us,we as athletes need to not only do all the running but some of the thinking also,and b4 the cynics say well you would say that cos GP reads your blog no,I pride myself on being honest,I hate lying,blame it on being raised Irish Catholic if you will but it,s always been my aim to be 100% honest in my blog,when I run a bad race or have a bad workout I try not to sugar coat it,honesty is the best policy,in running as is in life.

No comments: