Monday, April 6, 2009

Friends In High Places

I've often said that running is as much mental as it is physical,today proved that adage to be true.
A combination of looking to rebound from Thursdays 1,000s and this coming Saturdays race lead Dib and I to make tonite 3x1,000 the only problem was the weather,the fall back was that we could do them tomorrow if the rain scuppered tonite..............
Throughout the day the weather changed,long periods of rain lead me to think tonite wouldn,t happen,shorter periods of sun lead me to think it would,when I woke up I had to tell myself I would run tonite,mentally and physically I had to be ready to run dispite the rain.
At almost the eleventh hour a new fly landed in the ointment,just as I prepared myself to push back tonites repeats to tomorrow I discovered Franklin Field would be off limits so now I had to get my repeats in tonite,and if it rained?hell it wouldn,t be the first time I did 1,000m repeats in the rain.
I arrived at Franklin Field to discover why I've stayed away most of this year,dispite the schedule on the gate stating the track was open till 8pm I was now informed they were closing at 6pm and Penn's athletes were still out on the track at 5.15pm.......
Having known Kim the security guard at Franklin Field for two years now has often helped me out down there,never moreso than this evening,she asked one of the Penn coaches if it'd be ok for me to do my workout,since those guys were done and he knew I used to be a regular here he said go ahead.
I was going to have to rush to get the workout in,following my mile warm up it was time to strip down to my tshirt and shorts,the rain had long since stopped,against all odds today I was getting this workout in.
#1,63,72,35-2.50.58.I did not mean to start off w/ a 63 and clearly had to ease up over the remaining 600m to make sure there'd be fuel in the tank for the remaining two 1,000s period,muchless the fact I was cutting the recovery down to 7 minutes.
#2,68,73,32-2.53.86.this was bordering on the 1,000s I did on March 27th 2.53.78,2.52.65,2.54.56.I just hoped that opening 63 second 400m wouldn't come back to haunt me.
#3,67,75,33-2.55.32.all in all a great workout period but given the uncertainty of the day between the rain and the availability of Franklin Field.
As Dib said afterwards getting the 3x1,000s in today sets the week up nicely for Saturdays outdoor season opener.

No comments: