Saturday, April 4, 2009

Back Out To The Main Line

It is said the path of true love seldom runs smoothly....personally I wouldn't know,however since running is technically my wife,girlfriend,mistress,signifigent other etc etc then yes sometimes things don't go the way you had planned.
Starter for ten,try as I might I found it easier to get back into bed every 9 mins
that the snooze alarm went off than actually get up and get dressed and head out to St Joe's,eventually by 8.30am I got up and stayed up,made coffee,ate a banana and caught the second half of Blackburn Spurs,we lost 2.1 thanks to some questionable calls by the ref,no worries I'd use that angst to fuel my mile repeats at St Joe's..........
Not for the first time I arrived at St Joe's to discover the track to be off limits due to something going on in the infield,prehaps I'd have done better going directly to Lower Merion's high school track where I conducted numerous Saturday workouts last summer b4 switching to Haverford in September,October,November.
I'm no stranger to the Main Line....well at least for track workouts and soon found my way out to Ardmore.......deep joy!nothing going on in the infield,I could have at on the track!!!
I knew from my mile warm up that the first turn and back straight were going to be tough going thanks to the strong headwind,mercifully the bottom turn and the home straight found the wind at my back,I'd have prefered no wind obviously but willingly took the latter over the former.
#1,73,79,80,70-5.02.96.a nice start,I knew I had to factor the conditions into the whole workout,no point coming out gangbusters on the opening mile and fighting the wind if it meant having little left in the tank for the closing repeats,as always the opening lap of any repeat sets the tone and 73 felt like it was right on the money.
#2,74,79,77,70-5.00.30.wow!not exactly sure where that 77 second third lap came from compared to the 80 on mile 1 but I'll take it and while a small part of me smarted from just missing a sub 5 there was a part of me that felt I hadn't over extended myself.
#3,74,81,80,70-5.05.79.Given the wind, today did not feel like the day to be tisk tisking an 81 second lap,I felt I was handling the wind very well,not over extending myself on the first turn or back straight,to give you an idea of how windy it was out there a trash can from the infield blew into lane 1 which if I chose to glib about I could blame that for my 81 second 2nd lap as I had to move off the rail and out to the edge of the lane to avoid it.
#4,73,81,79,67-5.00.60.God damn!! at the end of it all to finish on a 67 second final lap and yet again just miss a sub 5 was pretty darn pleasing even if I do say so myself{Coach Dib said today was one hell of a repeat session so it's not just my opinion!!}
Clearly the "Chariots Of Fire"repeats at the "Top Cat Bowl" are paying dividends that said I,m glad I had the gumption to hit an all weather track today rather than slop around on a rain soaked cinder track for the second week in a row for my mile repeats{I have to be careful patting myself on the back my good friend 'The Queen Of The Slipstream"was quick to bust my chops for that last week!!!!}
Since tomorrow is a rest day{yea!!}I'll have no way of knowing how well or how badly the 'Top Cat Bowl"has dried off so the location for Mondays 3x1,000m will probably be Franklin Field.
It'd be remiss of me not to mention today's date,back in the day when I was first getting sober my councilor would often refer to me as "the history major"more often than not pretaining to my own history but even further back in the day History was my favourite subject in high school so I didn't want to let the memory of Martin Luther King to slip by w/out acknowledgment.
Granted it may've taken a pop culture reference to become familur w/ the leader of the civil rights movement in America but IMO the late great Rev Martin Luther King paved the way for the world to stand up and speak up for things they belived were rightfully theirs and for that we all own him a great deal.
"Sleep,sleep tonite,and may you're dreams be realized,if the thundercloud passes rain,so let it rain,let it rain down on he"
'MLK"
u2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kevin,

How many minutes of rest do you take between mile repeats?

Thanks!

kevin f forde said...

5 minutes