Monday, April 13, 2009

The Memory Remains

After a well earnt day off yesterday I was back at it today,an easy 5 miler on the cinders of the "Top Cat Bowl",providing it doesen't rain tomorrow I could do my 4x400m/2,400m repeats there,I don't think I'll be that lucky,rain is very much in the forecast and if I can get a workout in it'd have to be on an all weather surface ie Franklin Field.
I took a slight detour on the way home,to St John's catholic church in center city to light a candle in honour of my late father Kevin's birthday.
The ould fella would've been 76 today if he was still alive and while this October will mark 25 years since his passing his influence is very much alive and well today.
The infamous story of how he chased me home in the dead of nite in the pouring rain over 6 miles when I wasn't quite yet 9 years old has been told more than once,and will be again I'm sure,Kevin also instilled in me at a very young age a desire to win,second place or second best did not cut it for him and while I may've resented it when I was younger I feel now that drive and desire serves me well.
I think the old man would've gotten a kick out of seeing Ken Stone feature my mile race Saturday on http://masterstrack.com./blog would've enjoyed Tony Young's comment,as I did and while my father never knew Sal Allah he'd have been tickled pink by Tom Hartshorne's email likening my performance to that of Sal's,like I said his presence may be gone but his influence lives on and each race I enhance my reputation not only does my legacy grow but so does his.

No comments: