Saturday, April 11, 2009

It All Begins Here.

Just like last season the Philadelphia Distance Track Classic at Germantown Friends was my season opening meet of the outdoor season,however unlike last season today I would compete in the mile and not the 4x400m relay.
I awoke to the sound of rain at 7.30am oh well,I've trained in the rain for days like these,I've always said unless you train and prepare in all conditions how will you know how to race in them?
I was fortunate that the mens mile was the first event at 11am,I had time to do a mile warm w/ one of my good friends from Central Park Track Club Tom Fitzpatrick b4 getting out of my warm ups and into my race gear at the last possible minute,it was cold,windy and raining,damn right I wanted to stay warm and dry.
My directive from "Dib" was be aggressive from the gun,today presented a chance to see what I could do off a fast opening lap,"go out in 65 and shoot for 2.12 at the half"was the game plan.
Remembering my vow to have a better reaction to the gun I reacted first and not only held my postion on the rail but went into the turn in the lead.
I came through the first lap in a staggering 60 seconds,"Dib" said be aggressive,I don,t think he meant be this aggressive!!!,for all intense and purposes the race was won as would be reflected in my 7 seven second cushion over second at the finish.
2.08 at 800m,a 68 second split,a little uneven prehaps but it was important to get a feel for a fast pace and seeing how well or how badly I'd hold upto it,form wise I felt I was doing well.
3.19 at the bell, a 71 second lap,at this point the cold the wind and the rain were no longer a concern,w/ hindsight I wish I had dredged down deeper over the final lap,I feel there was another gear to go to but between the conditions,my opening lap of 60 seconds and the fact this was me against the clock I was content to close in 73 seconds to finish in 4.32.08. not far off of the 4.31.83. I closed the outdoor track season in August under much more favourable conditions.
Did I want a faster time?yeah but I'll take this my 10th fastest ever mile under the conditions,I have the whole summer to get faster,fine tune my training and hopefully race in better weather,next stop Penn Relays in two weeks time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kevin,

Congrats on race day. Wanted to point out your last lap was 73, not 83 as posted. Great test & finish! Best of luck toward meeting your 2009 goals.

kevin f forde said...

Thanks for catching that,I guess the blood and oxegyn hadn't returned to their rightful spots post race when I wrote my blog,either that or I still hadn,t warmed up!!!

Anonymous said...

This is a little off the subject, but what shoes did you race in.
I saw the picture on the Masterstrack site, and I didn't recognize them. I am looking for a light weight spike or flat to race 800/1500 that have cushioning.

kevin f forde said...

Saucony Killkenny's,I've worn them since 07 and love them to bits.

Anonymous said...

Great job! I ran a mile time trial/handicap race Saturday and hit 4:54. I feel slow compared to you, but my focus is the 5k. You inspire me. Have you got tickets for Finland? I'm hoping to find some for under $1000, but so far no luck. Take care, Michael Strickland

kevin f forde said...

A 4.54 mile for a 5k guy,not too shabby!!
Found a reasonable flight out of Newark to Helsinki via Stockholm for $900,now working on accomodation.
See you in Finland!

Anonymous said...

Know anything about the 5th ave mile? I got two free mileage tickets to NY in order to run the masters division in September and plan on winning

Where exactly is the start and finish?

Anonymous said...

found it:
Course
The race starts on Manhattan's famed Fifth Avenue at East 80th Street, in the heart of "Museum Mile." From there it heads one mile south on Fifth Avenue to the finish at East 60th Street.
Perfectly flat?, how is the wind?

By the way just kidding about winning, in January when I got the tickets I wrote goal 4:26 top 3
peace

kevin f forde said...

The course begins flat,there's a slight up hill at 400m,crests nicely at 800m to a slight downhill and then flat to the finish.
In the 3 years I've ran there the conditions hve been great,sunny and warm,next to no wind.
See you there in September

Bill said...

Great race Kevin! Hope you can make the Ridgewood Run Masters Mile on Memorial Day. See you on the track. Bill Zink.