Monday, May 23, 2011

For Inspiration

It's said inspiration can come from the least likely of places,I'm not a big Justin Timberlake fan but I recall in a Barbara Walters interview where the former N'Syncer said of his talent"I work w/ what I've got"which has stayed w/ me for the best part of three years.
At a time when my confidence is taking a battering each time I step on to the track to race{only 3 scheduled races left b4 Worlds and Nationals} I needed the events of the weekend in the sporting world to keep me honest and hopeful.

Leinster recovered from 6.22 down to defeat Northants 33.22 to win the Heinkein Cup rugby final{clearly Leinster were drinking Heinken at the half time interval as it"refreshed the parts other beers cannot reach"}at lunchtime,at halftime I could not have imagined Leinster staging a comeback to life their second Heineken Cup in three years but thanks to a few choice words in the dressing room at halftime and a belief that they could win the game Leinster took it to Northants in the second half so much so that rumour has it the Northants captain asked the ref if they could have a ball to play w/over the second 40 mins,when the ref informed him they had one the Northants skipper replied"yeah but Leinster are using that one!!!!"

As a boxing fan over the years I've seen some unbelievable fights,I recall in Nov 94 when George Forman became the oldest champion ever at 45 when he knocked out then champ Michael Moorer to claim the heavyweight title.....fast forward almost 17 years when Bernard Hopkins a 46 year old fighter from Philly beat Jean Pascal in his hometown of Montreal to claim the title and become the new Lightheavyweight champion of the world,a fact made even more remarkable by the fact that Hopkins was a former inmate at Graterford prison and now he's not only a world champion but the oldest ever world boxing champion.
Like I said inspiration comes in strange places,neither Leinster nor Hopkins quit and if that's what it takes to get off my stool and return to the frey tomorrow to continue my quest for the world championships and Nationals,then sobeit.

No comments: