Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bobfest

Happy 70th b'day Robert Zimmerman.....or as you and I know him Bob Dylan.
It's kind of ironic it's his b'day today given how last Tuesday Sean and I were discussing the merits of Bob Dylans music on our lives over the years.
To honour his b'day wxpn played 70 Bob Dylan songs today,you've gotta love a radio station like wxpn who does that,check out their website:http://www.wxpn.org/ to see the 70 songs they played on today's playlist and see if your fav Dylan tunes were amongst them,a lot of mine were.

Sadly the feelgood factor of wxpn's Bobfest didn't have a trickle down effect on my 4x1mile repeats at Temple post work.
Conditions were warm in the mid 80s as I ended my 6 day mini sabbatical w/ a return to training,w/ hindsight maybe a set of repeats wasn't the way to return to the frey,but frankly had today been an easy 6 miles I doubt the outcome of 4x1 mile repeats tomorrow would've been any different.
Things began well enough b4 degenerating into the following debacle:
#1 mile 1.16-1.21-1.20-1.16-5.13.7.I couldn't have asked for a better start,the opening 1.16 threw me for a loop as I thought I was running too slow.......
#2 mile 1.18-1.26-1.27-1.23-5.34.1.Not what I was hoping to follow up my opening 5.13.7. w/ but I was still ahead of my only other mile repeats this season in Roxboro on April 27th
#3 mile 1.24-1.31-1.31-1.29.-5.55.8.As soon as the back to back 1.31s showed up I knew that dead in the legs feeling wasn't all in my mind.
#4 mile 1.26-1.33-1.36-1.45.-6.10.7.On the back straight of the first lap I could actually feel my pace{referring to it as speed would be laughable!!!}decreasing,oi vay!!!!

I hope this was"just a bad day at the office" up until now my bad days at the track have been limited to my recent races,maybe my 6 days off meant I wasn't as sharp as I'd like to be,a few days of easy 6 milers b4 a return to the track for 8x1,000 will get me back into the realm of decent repeats.....let's hope so w/ every bad performance right now I feel another strand of confidence erode from my already questionable confidence level.
At least I hadn't schlepped all the way out to Roxboro for this....no amount of Bob Dylan on my ipod would've cheered me up on the hour long ride home afterwards!!

5 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Hey Kevin

Been reading of your troubles and wishing you all the best with getting back to your running best.

Keep the sense of humor and know that you will be back and this might even, in the long run, prove to be a good thing for your running.

Listening to Bob at times like this must cheer you up ;)

kevin f forde said...

Scott,
thanks for the comment,hopefully this blip on my running will pass and soon,Worlds and Nationals are getting closer.
No worries about keeping my sense of humor....w/ a face like mine you'd laugh too!!
As for Bob Dylan,as long as it's "Blood On The Tracks" and not"Blood On The Track"I'll be ok :)

rich wallace said...

"for the loser now will be later to win . . ."

Maureen said...

Hey Kevin, Have you had any blood work done recently? I had a very similar experience to yours a few years back and it turned out I had mono. I hope you don't, but it's worth checking out.

kevin f forde said...

Rich,
I hope so
Maureen,
I am considering getting blood work done to see if that's an issue