Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dream Into Action

It's not every day here on the east coast we get an earthquake but just b4 2pm while sitting on the lawn of the hospital taking my lunch hour I witnessed first hand the ground shake,it felt so surreal,at first it felt like the subway running below where I was sitting but considering I was sitting east facing west and the subway runs north to south along Broad St I knew it couldn't be the subway,5.8 was the official size of the quake down in Virginia that was felt as far north as Toronto and Atlanta down south.

After the earthquake I did a little ''earthshaking" of my own w/ my 8 miler,last week I clocked 49.46.1. and shaved 2.30 off of that this evening w/ a 47.16.3.
An ideal evening to run,80 degrees w/ no humidity,I hit my first split at Cedar and Cobbs Creek in 3.35 9 seconds up on last week.
8.41 at Baltimore Ave and 13.41 at Whitby Ave last week was 9.00 and 14.00 so providing I didn't go into the tank on the second half of the run I was on for a faster time.
Reached the turnaround in 24.06,32 seconds faster than last week could my first week of 50 miles have made that much of a difference???

34.44 at Whitby Ave 1.16 faster than last week,more importantly 34.44 at 6 miles means w/ 11 weeks to go till the Bridge Run 10k that 1984 pr of 34.53 should fold like a house of cards....maybe not the analogy to make after an earthquake but I've never said I had a politically correct bone in my body did I??
39 and change at Baltimore Ave I felt strong and full of running,up the final hill b4 hanging left on Cobbs Creek Parkway,43.20 at the intersection of Cobbs Creek and Cedar Ave,last week was 46.37 so I knew a faster time was on tap,when I reached the turnaround in 24.06 I didn't expect a sub 48 time but I clocked 47.16.3. when I finished,not only a 2.30 improvement on a week ago but also a negative split 24.06/23.10.

There still more work to be done here but for someone who huffed and puffed through 7.30 mile pace in late May/early June and went sub 6 today I'd say I'm heading in the right direction.



No comments: