Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene Nil Awesome Possum One

Sweet and merciful Jesus the rain stopped and Hurricane Irene has been and gone now.
I wasn't sure when I hit the zzzs last nite at 10pm what today would hold in terms of running,I figured it'd be a game time decision but upon waking up at 8.20am it seemed like the worst of the rain had stopped and by 11am after sitting through a painful 5.1 Spurs mauling at the hands of Man City I figured a run was the best thing for me!

The plan was an out and back along Kelly Drive for my 13 miler however upon reaching the Schuylkill Banks I was faced w/ my first obstacle,the Schuylkill River had crested its banks and subsequently the Schuylkill Banks were shut down,while I'm passionate about getting my run in I'm not a hard arse about public safety so w/ a quick about turn I headed back towards home w/ 2 options to complete the 7 miles I'd need to make this 13 miles.

Option one,hang a right on Cobbs Creek Parkway then hang a right on Spruce St and run back down to the South St bridge b4 turning back for home,or option two right on CCP turnaround at Spruce St and then back out along CCP to my 3 mile turnaround b4 turning for home.
My concern w/ CCP was that it's notorious for flooding and downed trees when the weather is bad but since I have to be back out there tomorrow for an easy 8 miler I figured today would serve as a recon mission.
I'm pleased to report no flooding and only one downed tree which I hope the Fairmount Park commission will have cleared if not by tomorrow then Tuesday.

So another 50 mile week in the books,here's hoping for a third but w/out all the drama of the last seven days beginning tomorrow w/ an easy 8 miler

No comments: